26

The door lead down a set of stairs that directly went straight down into the tunnels instead of into the cold outside. Still, the tunnels were chilly and I gripped onto Archer for more warmth. He did not want to follow Macallister's orders any longer but he had decided to come with me anyway. I could not imagine being in the split situation that Archer had found himself. A small part of me was glad that Jericho had taken off but a larger part of me worried for her safety. She had shown that she really did have more to her than she had let me see and could be vulnerable. She was bigger than someone who just felt hatred towards me. I had been so blinded about losing my best friend to her that I had not realized she was actually trying to help; it took her standing up and doing something I could not for me to appreciate her. She had been, after all, risking her life just like the rest of us despite not needing to.

"How many more safe houses are there?" Archer asked once we caught up with Macallister. People from the previous safe house were filling in around us from different passages. There was a distant smell of smoke. "And what is the point of trying to burn a concrete building?"

"I am not going to tell you how many there are. A small few are burdened with it and it increases the risk of discovery when we add to that list. It's too dangerous." Archer's expression contorted with rage. I understood why he was angry. We were being told to risk our lives but were not trusted with information. I could also see the point Macallister had made. If we decided to run like Jericho, or even worse switch sides against the Third Party, then they had a loose end they could not tie up. "The burning is mandatory. It will not take down the building but it will destroy the any evidence of us that could not be cleared in time. They do not need to know more about us then they already do."

The tunnels were filled with footsteps and breathing. There was the faint smell of smoke that faded the farther we got from the old safe house. The tunnels were dark but some had planned for such a move and carried small lights with them. I tried to stick as closely with the lights as I could; I liked to see. Archer wanted to fall back, farther away from Macallister, but I did not think it was a good idea. He did not trust him but I knew he was our only hope. We could not end this ourselves without the Third Party following in behind us with their support. Two people could start the revolution but it takes hundreds to finish it.

Archer's tugging hand continued to try to pull me back while I pushed on. It was not until he gave me a yank did I give in. We slowed our pace and let others pass us by. When I tried to speak Archer shook his head to tell me not yet. He did not feel safe with them.

the last person passed us by. They held a light. We walked with them from a distance. Their light was close enough to clearly see it but not near enough for it to light our path. Not being able to see where I was going bothered me.

"We should not be with them any longer," Archer whispered. "Macallister seemed like someone we could trust before but not now."

"Why? Because we failed his test?" I knew it was true but I did not want to believe it. Macallister had been the only person who was always with me from the time that I was thirteen. He saved me twice. Or, at least, he claimed he did.

"Remi, look at the facts. He is accepted on all three sides. He is playing every angle that he can. It's a weird strategy for war but he is doing it." Archer sighed. "When everything falls, he will be able to run to the winning side. We won't. Either we win or we die."

"What would he have to do to make you trust him again?" I asked. His points were valid but I could not shake the feeling that leaving them would cause more harm than good. At this moment in time we were on the same side. "He has always tried to show me he was on my side. You haven't really gotten that from him."

"If, and I mean if, we decide to stay with them I will never trust them. You can not trust those who will not trust you. To stay I think we have to know the truth. The entire truth. If they will not tell us about the safe houses, their plans, and who is in leadership in the Third Party and the city then we need to go."

"I agree." The truth was never a good thing it seemed but it was necessary.

"And no more tests," Archer mumbled.

"I knew you were going to say that." I stretched my neck until it popped. It sounded like someone had set something off in the tunnels with how quiet everyone was. The last person in line looked back with concern. The faces for their revolution were to far away. "We make our stand at the next safe house where will have another meeting with Macallister. We should probably get up there before they think were are trying to run."

Archer nodded. Our pace quickened to watch back up. The person at the back of the line had already alerted Macallister to our distance. He was at the back of the line just moments after we had already caught up.

"Is everything alright?" He asked. He looked generally concerned. There was no smile to greet me this time.

"No," Archer glared. "But it is going to be."

With my hand still in his, he pushed past Macallister. My eyes were wide. I had said we would meet with Macallister about our problems at the new safe house not in the middle of a dark tunnel. Archer squeezed my hand as if he were trying to comfort me.

I thought I could hear Macallister say something under his breath that sounded like 'we will see'.

Chills ran up and down my spine.