Chapter Twenty-Two

Life goes on for Derek and Stiles for the next few weeks, they fall into a steady rhythm of waking up, taking care of Pine, Derek goes to work, Stiles stays home with Peter, and it's good. It's the happiest that Derek has ever been, maybe it's Stiles or maybe it's Pine or maybe it's just that life is good. "Baby Pine. Pine cone. Pine tree. Piney." Stiles sings, rocking the toddler in his arms before he puts him down on the floor for him to look through his box of toys. Pine talks to himself, babbling softly, and Stiles smiles at him while he goes to kiss Derek in the kitchen. "Hello, my Derek. You are all mine today, yes? You do not have to work?" Stiles says, and Derek smiles as he nods his head.

"Yep, I'm yours. All yours." Derek says, and Stiles smiles at him while he leans forward to kiss him again. Stiles' tail swishes around as he looks at him, kissing him back with practiced ease, and Derek rubs his nose against his before he goes to get started on dinner. It was a quiet day, sleeping late into morning which was surprising since Pine likes to wake up early and if he's up then everyone is up early. "What do you want for dinner?" Derek asks him, and Stiles is too busy watching the hybrid scoot across the floor. Derek is pretty sure that he's going to start crawling soon, he's taken to scooting across the ground as he moves his legs, and it's pretty cute if Derek is being honest with himself. "Pine, are you having fun?" Derek asks him, waving Pine's tail wagging happily as he bites on some of the blocks that Melissa gave them.

Derek turns his head when he hears the doorbell ring, and he hums to himself as he looks through the window. He sees a young man, Stiles' age with blond hair and brown eyes and he's looking around the porch, and Derek hums to himself as he looks at Stiles. "Who is it, my Derek?" Stiles says, looking out the window and he frowns as he grabs a beanie and he stuffs his tail into his pants. "I'll take Pine into the other room. He is probably just lost or something." Stiles says, scooping up Pine and he goes into his room.

Derek waits until he hears the door shut and lock until he opens the door to the young man. "Hi, can I help you?" Derek asks, politely. The young man smiles at him, and he nods his head as he holds out his hand.

"Hi, I'm Trevor. I'm a student at the high school." He says, and Derek hums since he would have guessed that the boy was older than that. "I was doing career day at the Sheriff's department and Sheriff Stilinski told me that you were a nurse so I should stop by and talk to you." He says, and Derek is a little surprised by that. He wouldn't think that John would tell anyone to come over with Stiles and Pine here. He brushes it off, probably wanting to just help out a kid who needed help, and he nods his head as he leans against the door.

"Hi, I'm Derek Hale. It's nice to meet you. Yeah. We can talk if you want." Derek says, turning his head to make sure that the door to his room is closed. Trevor smiles at him while he looks at him and he pulls his open his backpack.

"Yeah. What college did you go to? How hard was your studying? How much do you make? How long did you take you to get a job? Do you feel trained enough for your work?" Trevor asks him, and Derek chuckles softly at his enthusiasm. He looks seventeen now, and Derek chuckles softly as he turns his hand down his face as he starts to answer him. Trevor nods his head and he turns his head when it starts to rain, and Derek smiles at him while he moves to let himself the house so he can get out of the rain. "Thanks for this. I'm sure Mr. Stilinski appreciates this." Trevor says, and Derek nods his head as he gestures for him to sit down.

"It's not a problem, Trevor. Why don't I go get one of my old textbooks for you to look through?" Derek says, and he watches Trevor dig through his backpack and Derek thinks it's for a paper to show him something or maybe sign something for one of his classes. What he's not expecting is for Trevor to point at gun at him, and Derek freezes as he moves back as he turns away from the bedroom. "What are you doing?" Derek asks him, dumbfounded.