Chapter Two

Derek wakes up to something tickling his nose. He fights the urge to sneeze, and he hears a soft giggle. Derek fights the urge to smile when he remember that last night he brought an adorable teen aged boy with fox appendages into his home. He cracks an eye open to see Stiles sitting on crisscross on the other side of the bed, but his focus is looking at a bird that is chirping on the patio of Derek’s apartment.

            Stiles is still shifting his tail from side to side, and it goes from Derek’s collarbone to his nose. Derek is honestly surprised that the hybrid didn’t sneak out while he was sleeping, but he is relieved that he is still here. He looks over at the bedside table and see he has an hour before he has to get up to get ready for class which makes it five thirty. Seriously, who’s idea was it for him to be a nursing major? He should have just worked in an all-night diner like his brother.

            The bird has somehow managed to perch itself directly against Derek’s window, and Stiles climbs over Derek to sit at the edge of his bed to look at it better. Stiles presses his hand against the glass, and looking at the with awe. Derek briefly wonders if Stiles is going to try and kill it as a gift for him, but he remember that cats do that and foxes are more related to dogs. Stiles’ tail is slapping him in face, and he gently pulls on it. Stiles squeaks in surprise, and jumps in the air before trying scramble off the bed.

            Derek laughs as he throws the covers over Stiles to trap him on the bed, and Stiles gets really still. Derek chuckles and he pulls up the covers to a pouting Stiles which makes Derek coo at him because he looks so adorable. Stiles tries to wiggle out of the covers but gets stuck, and falls off the bed. Derek chuckles softly, but Stiles turns to look at him and his bottom lip is trembling like he is trying not to cry.

            Derek instantly feels guilty, and he slips to the floor to sit in front of Stiles. “Oh, cub. That wasn’t very nice of me, was it? I’m sorry.” Derek says, softly. Derek slowly puts his hand in Stiles’ hair to pet his ears, but he isn’t sure if Stiles wants Derek to touch him or not. Derek scratches Stiles behind his ears, and Stiles’ eyes flutter closed.

            “I-It is okay.” Stiles says, and Derek smiles at him. The cut on Stiles’ forehead looks better since Derek put some antibiotic ointment on it, but Derek can still see outlines of bruises under the clothes he wears. He wants to ask Stiles what has happened to him, but he doesn’t know if Stiles possess the language skills. Derek also doesn’t know if he wants to know.

            Derek continues to pet at Stiles’ hair when he hears Stiles’ stomach growl, and Derek smiles softly. “Is that why you woke me up this morning?” Derek teases, and Stiles looks at him with wide eyes.

            “Did not mean to wake Derek up!” Stiles says, and his eyes are comically large but he looks genuinely upset. “Go back to sleep. I will wait!” Stiles cries, and he tries to stand but he is still tangled in the blanket. He manages to fall directly into Derek’s lap, and his squirming trying to get out.

            “Are you stuck, baby?” Derek asks, softly and Stiles gives him a confused look.

            “Not baby, Stiles!” Stiles says, and Derek thinks this kid is going to get him diabetes from being too cute.

            “It’s a nickname, Stiles.” Derek explains, and Stiles nods his head like he understands. Derek chuckles softly before he begins untangling Stiles from the blanket which proves difficult since Stiles won’t stay still. Derek manages to get the blanket off, and he gets rewarded with a slap in face with Stiles’ tail. “Can you control you tail?” Derek asks, running his hand over it.