Chapter 2

Zoe was amazing, she showed me to all my lessons and had introduced me to her friends Shay and Emma. Whilst Emma looked and was in fact nice and kind, Shay was the sort of person you either hate or love; and her boyish behaviour and good jokes made her instantly get along with me.  They had another friend Ashley, who was Emma’s twin but she wouldn’t be in class until lunch. I was enjoying myself so far, my lessons were ok, I already had amazing friends, and so far I had seen no extraordinary, paranormal beings. To top it all off, it had seemed that Cole had not found me yet. Cole was my mother’s boyfriend of two years, however about three months ago when he found out my mother was a witch, and not just the average spell-casting witch but one who had the affinity of fire, he flipped out and killed her.  When my mother told me to run, I did except I swam away instead. We had a lake near out house, which interlinked to a river deeper in. When I reached the police and told them of Cole and the murder, they tried looking for him, but he had made a run for it. That was when they found Aunt Chloe and moved me here; I knew it wouldn’t be long till Cole turned up again. It had been six weeks so I had a glimmer of hope that maybe he had quit looking for me, but deep in my heart I knew he wouldn’t stop ever, and with the news being filled with unnatural murders I knew he had become a Hunter. Hunters were the assassins who killed anyone of magical ability vampires, werewolves, mermaids, witches, anyone. They could also be like hitmen, of the extra-ordinary type; killing for money and not just supernatural creatures but anything that came in their path. 

By now it was lunch and I was standing next to Emma and Zoe when I saw it. The Mark; a crescent moon on the right shoulder, the Mark; inherited by every werewolf, and what made it worse was that it was on Ashley, Emma’s twin who was walking towards us as we spoke. So much for staying low, i had just gone and made friends with a bunch of werewolves. Perfect!

Ashley approached us and gave Emma a hug, As she looked at me curiously Zoe introduced us, “Ashley this is Macey she’s new here, Macey this is Ashley, Emma’s twin and one of our best friend.”

“Hey” Ashley said after giving me a full-on head-to toe lengthy look. 

“Hi, nice tattoo” I said, I felt obliged to say something since the Mark was shouting out, TALK ABOUT ME, but I didn’t want them to know who I was, not yet at least. I wanted to keep my cover for as long as possible. 

“Oh thanks” she said smiling, quick to cover it up with her scarf. 

After that we fell into a natural conversation until the bell announced the end of lunch and the chaos and the cluster of high school corridors became the worry and coming out alive from the packed out corridors, with tall, pushing, no-manners guys budging past, and small freshmen girls screaming bloody murder for some reason became the top priority. 

My next class was Myths and Legends; i enjoyed history especially the fiction part of it, plus another plus was that I had this period with Emma and Shay.

Entering the class i felt my eyes drawn to the back, where this wow amazingly hot guy was lounging on the chair like he owned the place. I had seen cute guys before but he is just, woah. And for some reason i felt myself drawn to him, as if i was attached to him by a string and he was pulling on it. 

 I heard an amused voice behind me say, “Oh no not another mate falling for Noah.”

I turned at this “Don't be silly Shay, I'm just admiring the view.' I said cheekily and laughed at her humoured face. 

'That's Noah, the school's bad boy, the guy who flunked a year and the guy who's also my brother.' Emma spoke and with a wink said, 'and don't worry, every girl who first sees him nearly faints.' I could actually feel myself going tomato red.

 “Well I for one didn’t, I actually nearly fainted when I saw Noah’s friend, Danny.”

‘”Uh Shay, honey, u did faint.” I turned to see a cute guy smiling at Shay, I could see the love in his eyes, and how Shay just melted at their gaze, all her macho exterior faded as she let love take over her face. 

“Hey, not funny, Macey this is my boyfriend Danny, Danny this is Macey.”

“Hey, nice to meet you.”

I smiled, he was nice, “yeah you too.”

“Ok everyone take your seats class is about to begin.”

My heart skipped a beat as it recognised that horrible, raspy voice, no, it couldn’t be, it CAN’T be.

I turned around to see Cole, standing there smiling, while his eyes were on me, revenge over took them, I nearly fell over and would've if Emma hadn’t grabbed me, “Are you ok?”

I nodded and she led me to my seat, I didn’t even realize she took me to the back, right next to Noah, but he’d have to wait.

My high school teacher was my mother’s murdered and was after me.

But how, I mean the police were looking everywhere for him, then I noticed the name he had written on the board, Mr Garret.  So he had changed his name and everything else too no doubt.

‘”So, everyone my name is Mr Garret and I will be teaching you Myths and Legends, now for our first topic we will be discussing…mermaids.”