Chapter 20

As I was walking to meet up with Leo and the girls my thoughts kept coming back to what Charlotte had said, about how me and Leo were bound to get our happily ever after; and I think everyone really expects us to be together. I sighed as I thought the impossibility of that happening now. I looked up and suddenly saw Katie, the shock of her existence still scared the crap out of me and made my heart break, but I wiped my tears, put a smile on my face and met her with a hi. She was wearing a knee length red dress with her hair down. How ghosts can change their clothes I had no idea, but she looked beautiful no matter what. She saw me looking at the dress and whispered, ‘Leo bought me this dress, he loved it.’ She smiled as I told myself to put myself together.

I knocked on the door and was greeted warmly by Ashley and Emma, following them in I saw Zoë, Shay, Jace, Nate, Danny, and Leo. Saying hey to the rest of the room bought me a chorus of ‘hellos’ and ‘how are you’s’ as Leo spoke, ‘hey Mace, so what did you want to talk to us about?’ he asked with that amazing half smile of his as his gorgeous eyes met mine with a hint of the ever there amusement and curiosity. I took a deep breath as I stabled myself and felt the eyes of everyone in the room on me. They were tense as if something was about to happen, it was more due to their werewolf senses than my nervous tapping. Calming myself and expecting the worse I told them of how I thought I saw someone I recognised that day at the beach and when I followed her I recognised her.

‘Who was it Macey?’ Shay asked, I had all their attention and they were on red alert, all I wanted was to get out of there and take a swim. ‘I…I saw Katie.’

‘WHAT???’  Leo stood up and came right to me, ‘Macey what are you saying.’

At that moment I heard a chorus of gasps and shocking sighs, Katie had transported herself behind Leo, who was in front of me. Hearing the exclamations from his family and pack, Leo slowly turned around to be standing face to face with his dead mate…

Leo’s POV

I turned around to be face to face with Katie, a gasp escaped from me as I just stood there in shock. Ever so slowly I reached out a hand and bought it up to her face, touching her cheek, expecting my hand to go through, for it to be a hallucination, if not than a ghost. But instead my hand contacted with her face, though I didn’t feel the normal warmth radiating of my Katie, I still felt a cold, pale cheek. Another gasp escaped as the realisation that Katie was here, in front of me over took me and shook me to the core. I reached out once more, but this time I embraced her, hugged her tight. I took a deep breath as memories of our time together came rushing to me, remembering how her body fit mines, of her familiar smell, which oddly, wasn’t there anymore. But it was still Katie, My Katie.

Macey’s POV

Tears ran down my hot cheek, powerful and big and heavy. My heart pulled and twisted as my eyes looked on to Leo embracing Katie; although it pained my eyes to see this they dared not miss anything.

Than Katie spoke, telling her story to a speechless audience; 'I woke up a few days ago on the beach, not remembering anything, I searched around and around for anything, anyone who could explain what was happening to me. Nobody could see me. Until the day before I met Macey, that day I was seen by a witch, much similar to you Macey. She told me that only beings of higher power, as in witches, wolves, and whatnots could see me, and that I was a spirit, in search for that missing piece which I left behind, that isn't letting me move on.' She paused to take a breath, did ghosts need oxygen? I knew all this, but she carried on. 'When I saw Macey I told her I needed to see Leo, as he may be the answer and after Macey agreed I went back to the witch, she's also a herbalist, Angela. When I went to her, she had news for me, she said that I'm not a ghost at all, or a spirit. I mean, she said that I have the powers of spirit and are very alike to one, but i'm actually alive.' 

This I didn't know, it was news to me but only made it worse for my heart and soul. 

Now she looked to Leo, she smiled and went on, 'Angela said that in rare cases if a person who has died before his or her time can be bought back, even after a year later. She said that she'd even heard of a young man being bought back 35 years after his death in a car accident. Anyway, it seems Leo that there's a condition to my new life, that is that if I want to stay on this earth, I needed to be taken back by my mate.'

There was silence for who knows how long, nobody spoke, nobody moved, hardly breathed. we looked at each other, pondering what would happen, every once in a while someone would glance at me, give me a reassuring smile or turn away when they noticed I had seen them. I could hear my heart beat, loud and slow.

Then, as if hypnotised Leo moved forward and placed his arm around Katie, and his lips upon hers. As I just stood there feeling enraged and tortured, they deepened their kiss and passion filled them. I stumbled back, bumping into something, and then ran straight out of the house. 

That sunset bought with it more tears; as I sat on the warm sand, basked in what was left of the light I stared out at the sea with its unlimited choices and wrath. Filled with water which was so dangerous and yet ironically a necessity to live by. The waves were coming in and out, getting longer with every tide. They swayed and pulled inwards just as my heart pulled inwards within itself, for the second time in my 18 years I felt a part of my soul rip apart. Choosing Katie was the hardest thing Leo could do, but he had to do it, she was his mate.

I looked to my left, to the two suitcases not far from where I was sitting, and within them my one-way ticket to New York, money that I had saved up and Aunt Chloe gave me for everything I would need, for the first month anyway, and a key to her flat which she had bought before I came into her care, and where she had went to stay before she had broken up with her fiancée. And my unwrapped 18th birthday present from her. I reached for it, it was a small box, and opening it I found a small heart shaped pendent, with a purple core and with it a picture. A picture of my mother, about my age, happy and carefree, the same pendent resting at the base of her neck.

I had decided to leave, start afresh somewhere new, where my memories and past didn’t haunt me. My aunt agreed. Saying goodbye to Emma, Ashley, Shay and Zoë was hard, they had become like my sisters and although they begged me to stay I had to say no. Saying goodbye to Leo would have been the worst, so I chickened out, instead leaving a simple note, with just one word, one word which was enough:

Goodbye…

As the tide set in I reached for my bags as Aunt Chloe’s car came into view, I put the bags in the car boot and said a final bye to the place where my nightmares had lived and my heart had been broken. Twice.

With a final glance I got into the car, never to return…

Re-jec-tion

n.

1. The act of rejecting or the state of being rejected.

2. Something rejected

My life story is what rejection is. But I'm willing to change that, I’ll try to anyway. But far from here. When the plane finally took off, my eyes had dried, my heart had hardened and my heart was already aching a little less…

________________________________________

Hey all, i know it's been AGES since i've uploaded so im really really SORRY, but here it is, the final chapter, i'm afraid the story's ending here 

So...

VOTE X COMMENT X ENJOY

and dont forget to let me know what you think

thank you xoxo

p.s who likes the song??? Breakeven cover by Max Schneider

I totally am in love with it :)

p.p.s I've uploaded the kind of sequel to this called Love CPR if you want to check it out I'll be eternally grateful :)