Chapter 9

The next day as I entered the school gates Emma came up to me, before I could get a word out she had dragged me behind the bike shed, and Zoe, Ashley and Shay were there too. There was silence which I decided needed to be broken, 'you know guys, I'm straight right, being behind the bike shed won't make me want to make out with you.' That got a smile from them. Pretty shocking actually, the joke deserved at least a lol or a sarcy comment.

Ashley spoke next, 'so, you're a mermaid?'

It was more a question rather that a statement.

'No, I'm a witch, but erm when I was younger this other witch who hated my mom put a spell on me, she had the fire affinity so as you can guess she was pretty pissed at my mom,' actually thinking about It I still hadn't figured out why she hated my mom so much.

'Why didn't you tell us Macey?' Zoe asked.

'I don't know, I just thought you'd think I was a freak or hate me or something.' I blushed, feeling shameful for not telling them earlier, especially since they had been such awesome friends to me. 'I'm sorry.'

Next thing I know, all four of them were laughing their heads off, 'erm guys, care to share the joke.'

Shay was the only one who could get some words in, even then she found it difficult to not laugh, 'sorry Macey, but I can't believe you thought we'd hate you, man I can't believe you thought we would think you're a freak, I mean we're the ones who can transform into wolves, remember.'

I smiled then, 'oh yeah, oops.'

'You are such an idiot Macey.' Shay said, before she squeezed the life out of me and giving me a massive bear hug, and before we knew it we were all hugging and laughing. I hadn't felt this happy since before mom was killed.

'So Macey tell us, how does it work, you turning into a mermaid.'

'I don't really know myself, all I really know is that I'm stuck with it forever, and after seven seconds of being in contact with water I get a tail. At first I hated it, you know I could swim in school or go out in the rain and had to be really really careful, but once I started to swim in the sea, man the view is so awesome and so beautiful I never regretted it since.'

'So, you basically love swimming with fish?'

I laughed, 'yeah Zoe I swim with fish, but it's so scenic and tranquil.' If everyone could see it, they would be less likely to destroy it.

Emma came up to me then, she looked really serious and sadness circled her eyes, 'I have to ask Macey, how are you, after yesterday.'

I took a deep breath, 'I'm fine you guys, seriously, at first I was, I admit depressed and angry and everything else, but I don't know after eating a billion chocolates and Ben & Jerry's I feel ok, seriously, I've accepted it.'

I smiled; it was the truth, kind off.

The girls didn't look like they believed me, but they thought better and left the subject at that. The bell went a couple of minutes later and we went to our classes.

It was after lunch, and I had Astronomy, I was alone since the other girls had Physics or Algebra. I walked alone into the class and nearly fell; I had tripped over someone's bag, Noah caught me, I felt his touch burn me where we made contact. We stood like that for the next 30 seconds before I came to my senses and pulled myself away from him. 'It seems your always falling whenever you around me.' He smiled and I melted; but I held up a strong front and muttered, 'seems that way.' As I walked into the classroom I felt his on me, and he followed me in and whilst I went to the teacher he walked up to Jace and sat next to him, great, this was just perfect.

'Hi, I'm Macey I'm starting this class,' I said to the teacher, Mrs Thomas, she looked up and smiled, ''oh yes, the head teacher told me of you, now where should we seat you, aah you can sit next to Jake, he's over there by the window. She pointed to a tall, dark haired boy next to the window; he was talking to the guys behind him. As I walked towards him he turned and smiled, I couldn't help but smile back. 'Hi, I'm Jake.' He said, 'You must be Macey.'

'Erm yeah, Hey.' He smiled once again before I had to sit and Mrs Thomas started the class.

It was half-way through astronomy and the teacher was on about the differences between black dwarf stars and white dwarf stars. Jake leaned towards me and whispered, 'so any reason why Noah keeps staring at you.' I looked back and saw Noah meet my gaze, and then he quickly turned around.

'I seriously have no idea.' I smiled at Jake.

'That's good, because it would be awkward if you and Noah had a thing.'

My smile wavered but I managed to keep it still, 'Trust me, we don't have a thing, but erm why would it be awkward if we did?' seriously confused.

'It would be awkward cos I want to ask you out to a party tonight.' He smiled broadly and I blushed, 'I don't know, I mean I'm not exactly a party person.' I was quite shocked he was asking me out,

'Oh come one Macey I'll protect you plus you don't have to go for the party, you can go for me.'

'You know what, yeah sure, why not.'

'Excellent.' He turned back to the whiteboard and left me to sort out my thoughts. I needed to get over Noah, and Jake seemed pretty awesome, plus he was really cute, and if Noah had a girlfriend, why can't I date.

This year doesn't look too bad after all.

Jace's POV

I could feel Noah's anger enveloping him, it took him every inch of control he had to not transform right now and break Jake's neck into two. I felt his pain and anger, and no doubt so did every other wolf in this school. I heard Emma's worrying voice enter my mind, 'Hey Jace, what's going on, why is Noah so upset and like he's gonna kill someone?'

'Jake's just asked Macey out, and she's said yes.' That was enough for Emma to understand, 'oh shit, this is bad Jace, I gotta go but man you and the guys have to talk to Noah, he listens to you.'

'I know babe, we'll talk later, I love you.'

'Love you too Jace.' I felt Emma's connection break from my mind.

'Noah, bro you have to calm down, Emma and Ashley will talk to Macey, they will make her understand.'

'If he touches her, I swear I'm going to kill him.' He simply said, and I knew he meant it, I also knew I would help him.

Jake was a violent drug addict who went out with Zoe for a while, he was charming at first, but when it got serious he started to abuse he. When she finally had the courage to tell us, Noah, me, Danny and Nate had paid him a little visit; he never went near Zoe again. He was controlling and abusive and if Macey fell into his trap she could get seriously hurt.

------------------------------------

VOTE X COMMENT X ENJOY