Chapter 5

• Dedicated to My absolutely amazing mates....

I ached everywhere, but the strange thing was I have no idea why, I remembered meeting Noah on my run, but then what had happened?

I could feel that I was lying on a bed, but I couldn’t open my eyes, then I heard voices…

‘I can’t believe she’s Noah’s mate’

‘Shit this is so bad, Zoe you know how bad Charlotte has Noah twisted around her finger’

‘I know, man this sucks, I feel so sorry for Macey, I swear if Noah Rejects her then I'm gonna kill him and that stupid bi…

I couldn’t hear the rest, my head began getting hazy and I couldn’t concentrate, I felt so lightheaded, damn it I didn’t want to pass out again…

I finally opened my eyes to see that I was on a large bed in a room, I knew instantly a girl lived here, there were posters of cute guys everywhere, of boy bands and film stars and the walls, the places that weren’t covered anyway were a deep shade of purple.

I sat up and saw Zoe, Ashley, Shay and Emma. They were talking to each other in the far corner of the room, on beanbags, in a hushed tone. I couldn’t make out what they were saying but it was probably about me. The voices that I had heard before were Zoe’s and Emma’s. I hadn’t understood what they were saying now but now it was so clear, I looked at my right wrist, and there was the crescent with the bright and pulsing ‘N’, oh shit.

Emma suddenly looked at me and realised I was awake, oops I didn’t notice I had said that out loud, she first looked at me then at what I was staring at,

‘Do u know what it means Macey?’ Emma asked and at hearing her speak the other girls turned too, waiting for my reply.

‘I’ve been mated’ it sounded more like a question.

This time Shay spoke, ‘yeah but it’s only the first Phase, the mark on your wrist shows every one that you belong to him, but you’re not fully mated, that is until you have, erm had sex together.’

I knew I was bright red by this time, my mother had told me about werewolves and their mates, about their rituals and what happened when they made their First Contact and after they mated; about how every different couple had a different design around the crescent which was never repeated on another couple, but she never told me what to do if you find you’re a werewolf’s mate who is bound to reject you, because before I had forgotten Zoe’s words earlier, ‘if Noah rejects her.’ They were ringing in my ears and my heart, this can’t be happening.

‘Are you ok Macey?’ Ashley looked concerned as she passed me a glass of water, I took a sip and realised how thirsty I was, ‘how long have I been out?’

‘All day I’m afraid, but don’t worry shay phoned you aunt and told her you were going to school with us and that you were going to be staying over our house today. And Jonathon, that’s Ashley and Emma’s dad phoned the head and told him you were ill so weren’t coming in, as well as the rest of us. So it’s all sorted.’

I smiled, it was all sorted out. I looked at my phone and saw it was five o’clock. I decided to leave, I feel as if I imposed on them enough. ‘Listen thank you for everything but I better be going back,’

I stood up and nearly fell again, if it weren’t for Emma I would have, ‘you not going anywhere Macey, your aunt already thinks you’re staying over and you’re in no condition to go home, so go the bathroom, it’s through there, and have a shower, when you’ll come out we’ll put some clothes out on the bed for you, and then you can meet my mom, she’s dying to meet you.’ Emma finished with a smile and pushed me into the bathroom and closed the door behind her.

There was no point fighting Emma plus I really needed a hot shower, but there was one tiny problem, me being a mermaid. I was worried someone would discover me and I dint want any of them to think I was a freak, so I double checked to see if the door was locked, peeled my clothes off and stepped into the shower. It was heaven. I instantly Turned but I needed the hot water pouring on me to think. I knew now that I had made some amazing friends, they were all different but absolutely brilliant and they looked after me. But I being Noah’s mate was something hard to think about, I mean the guy was just wow, absolutely positively fit, but I heard in school yesterday (the things you hear girls gossiping about in the bathrooms) he was pretty keen and close to his girlfriend, Charlotte, uh oh great now I have a girlfriend of my mate probably out to kill me as well as a Hunter. Life Sucks sometimes.

When I came out of the shower, had dried myself and got my legs back, I went in the bedroom to see that Emma had done what she said she would, I put on the purple strapless shirt, black jeans and a biker jacket because it was beginning to get chilly. I put on my trainers because I wanted to wear something that was at least mines, and I stepped outside the door.

I was on a landing, and there was Ashley kissing some guy, actually I recognised him, he was with Noah yesterday in Myths and Legends, his name was Noah or Nathan or something, definitely something with N.

I cleared my throat and the couple went apart, Ashley blushed a little but the guy just pulled her close and put his arm around her waist, Ashley broke the uncomfortable silence, ‘Macey, hi didn’t see you there, erm this is my mate Nate,’ so that was his name; knew it began with an N, ‘and erm Nate this is Macey, the one I was telling you about.’

Nate stuck his free hand out and I shook it, he smiled and said, ‘so you’re the one who’s got my best mate all pissed off’

He laughed and I smiled, ‘guess I am.’

‘Come on Macey everyone’s waiting downstairs.’

‘Er, everyone?’ I felt panic ridden.

‘Just my parents, shay and her mate, Emma and her mate, Zoe, and Noah, oh and Charlotte.’ Anger sparked her eyes at saying Charlotte’s name and I knew they had history.

She led me downstairs, but being so clumsy I tripped over the last step and went flying, only to be caught mid fall. I looked up and my eyes locked onto the most beautiful ones I’ve ever seen, they were blue with a hue of purple and they were breath-taking. My heart literally skipped a beat and I couldn’t breathe, Noah was staring intently into my eyes too, and my skin was tingling all over, and burning from where he was holding me. All too soon someone cleared their throat, sounded like Ashley and Noah stood me up straight, after a ‘be careful’ he walked off into the living room. I sighed, this is going to be…different.