Chapter Three

Kim

"Morning, Hayden," Clapp greeted, slapping a stack of papers on my desk bright and early.

"Someone's chipper," I commented. "What's this?"

"The results of the rape kit," he said nonchalantly.

"And?"

"It's raining spermicide," he sighed, sitting down in his own chair. "No DNA."

I dug through the papers in disbelief, unable to fathom the idea that this was a complete dead end.

"The blood samples?" I interrogated. "Skin cells, hair, did they check the clothes? Or the fingernails? We said there was a fight."

"The only blood belonged to the vic," he stated. "And that's where the genetic matter ends."

"Unbelievable."

"The thing is, we know she had sex before she was killed, because we know there was a condom, just like the first victim. But just like the first victim, there's absolutely nothing except the spermicide. I mean, I've seen a clean rapist before, but this guy is meticulous. Frighteningly clean. Hey, you suppose Carrie's our killer?"

"Where would she put the condom, Clapp?"

He just shrugged. "You've seen her naked, you tell me."

"Yeah, somehow I don't like our ADA for this." I sighed once before throwing out, "Maybe it was Carver."

He twisted his mouth awkwardly before stating, "Yeah, I was wondering when we'd get to talking about that."

"Did CSRU get prints on the knives?"

"Not back yet," he relayed. "But if I were to guess, I'd say it was a pocket knife, one that he probably kept with him. Kim, can you think of anyone that would want to get your attention?"

"I can think of about forty five," I grimaced, in reality not wanting to think about it at all. "I just don't know their names or identities, or anything about them."

"I know you've had some run-ins with gangs," he recalled unnecessarily.

"Well, I've had more than the casual rendezvous with them," I reminded him. "They almost got me killed, and two years ago, they almost got my partner killed." I sighed, feeling the need to rephrase. "I almost got my partner killed."

"You didn't get Beckett shot, Kim, her shooter did."

"And her shooter was after me. Just like this shooter."

"I don't know, Kim," he mused. "I mean, I get the gang trying to send you a message and all. But with two rape homicides? I mean, don't you think that's kind of extreme?"

"Not in the least," I said plainly. "Homicides are a daily activity for them. The sex crimes are new, but when you think about it, it makes sense. The only way to get me on the case was to make sure it was sexual in nature, so my department would handle it. So," I closed, and made sure to include, "And this is just a hypothesis - but if they already had some hits to do, they may have thrown in the rape to grab my attention."

"Well, they got it," he sighed.

"Meanwhile, we do have an ID on the second vic, if not the first. The neighbors gave a name."

He nodded, going back through his notes. "Talia Ramos," he read. "She was a third year undergrad at Hollander, living off campus. It was like Carrie said. Explains the Adderall."

"Well, if my ideas are right on this and she is involved with gang members, the Adderall's not the only thing she's on. I say we take a trip to the Hollander campus and canvass the students. See if they can tell us who's dealing to her."