Chapter Thirty Seven

Jenn

I didn't know what to say or what to do to make it better or worse. I knew that above all, Carrie needed space, but like most things, she made it so hard. I physically had to tear myself away, force myself to get out of her apartment that night, but the knowledge that she needed time was just at war with the knowledge that her life was falling apart.

They say if you love something, let it go. And I did, so I had. But I wasn't feeling good about it.

I'd just gotten home, and by that I mean literally forced myself to go home, and it was around ten, and even still I was tired though this wasn't even close to my latest of late nights. Even still, the phone had to ring the second I got through the door because it always did.

"Carver," I said apathetically, sitting down at the island in my kitchen and investigating my own fingernails.

"Such a detective."

It was the first time I'd heard a Southern accent other than my own in months, and if that didn't give it away, I would have known the voice anywhere.

"Tommy," I recognized, my voice suddenly brighter, warmer, devoid of the cloudiness of Green Falls, almost like I was back home, at least in a manner of speaking. "I missed you."

"Really?" he said. "Not enough to pick up a damn phone."

I knew he was kidding, and his voice carried no hostility whatsoever, but I still felt guilty about it. I'd been so caught up in everything - in paperwork, in this one case in particular, and especially in Carrie and everything that had gone right and wrong between us - that I hadn't spoken to my own brother in over a month.

"I've been so busy," I said in my best Byron Birchmier voice. "Tell me everything. What's going on?"

"I'm getting married," he said, just like a bolt from the blue. I didn't know how to react except to laugh.

"What?"

"I proposed," he said as though it weren't clear. "I'm marrying Katherine in the fall."

"Tommy," I marveled. "That's incredible. I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks, Jenn," he said modestly, but I knew he was smiling widely somewhere in Tennessee. "Just thought I'd let you know now so you can book a flight."

"Gosh, that's why you decided to inform your only sister that you're getting married?"

"Well, you know," he said.

"I can't believe it," I admitted. And I couldn't. All my brothers were married now. "You're the last one to go. Mom must be furious."

"Well," he said again, laughing slightly. "I tried telling her she's not losing a son, that she's gaining a daughter."

"Oh, apparently that's all it takes."

"You're so territorial, Jenn," he criticized. "You know what I mean. No one's taking your place."

"Yeah, she better not," I warned, feigning offense.

"So, how's Carrie?"

I sighed. He could have asked anything else - literally anything else.

"Great," I lied.

"Jenn," he said skeptically.

"What?"

"I was there the day you were born and I know your voice when you're being the dirty liar you are."

I laughed, sadly. "Wow. Thanks."