Chapter Five

Carrie

Not surprisingly, Kim's little pep talk at the precinct did little to satiate my sheer unwarranted rage that afternoon. She'd been successful in calming me down at least temporarily, but for some reason unknown to me at that point, it was almost out of my control to forestall the irritability that would no doubt be in copious supply until I'd gotten either a nap, a drink, or a pink slip.

"Counselor," the guy at the front desk called as I walked - or rather stormed - back into the DA's office.

"I'm sorry, are you addressing me?" I asked tersely, though clearly I was the only counselor in sight.

"Um, yeah," he formed slowly, not understanding.

"Oh, because generally when someone has a name, I try to use it. I don't call you desk boy, do I?"

"You...don't really call me anything."

"I'll keep it that way," I groused, making my way for the stairs.

"I'm...sorry, Counselor Everett. Caroline. Um, what exactly do you want me to call you?"

I sighed, not wanting to get into this. "I want you to call me, when you have something useful to tell me. Okay?"

"I, uh...have a package."

"From who," I spat, just wanting to get back to my office and hide from any potential albatross of the human variety.

"Didn't say," he said quietly. "I could throw it out, or...or give it to the bomb squad, if you..."

"Nobody's trying to bomb me," I nearly yelled in disbelief.

"You're a prosecutor, and you're vicious. I can think of twenty people that might want to bomb you."

"Give me that," I spat, in no mood to hear about the myriad people who wanted me dead. "Do you remember who brought it?"

"A lady," he shrugged. "She was hot."

"By lady, do you mean thirty year old woman?"

He shrugged. "I'm not good with guessing."

"Thank you for your help," I said acridly, and he took it as though I'd meant it.

"You're welcome."

I just shook my head and began my ascent to my lovely fourth floor hole in the wall. As soon as I was behind that door, I could throw myself down at my desk and just revel in solitude until I left for the day. I felt as though I was chasing the one thing I so desperately needed, which was some time away from human contact - and furthermore, I didn't think anyone would object to me being alone. The way things were going for me, being around other people was just an attempted murder trial waiting to happen. But it would have been too easy if I could have gotten into the office uninterrupted. I was looking for the key to my door when I was thwarted once again by another loud "Counselor."

I threw my head back in aggravation and began to demand "What do you--"

But I shut that up real fast when I realized it was the DA addressing me. I swallowed, straightened out my jacket, and turned around slightly, my hands occupied with my key but now becoming awkward and fumbling in the formidable presence of my boss. Being near the district attorney was like driving by a state trooper. Even if you're not doing anything wrong, you feel like you are.

"What do you need, Mr. Carter?" I managed in my cordial voice.

"Make sure to be in your office an hour from now. I'm placing you with an intern."