Chapter Eleven

Carrie

"Hey, look," Oliver was announcing as the three of us walked into the precinct looking like a weird, happy family. Jenn was still chatting with Charlotte and not hearing what they were saying, but contrarily, I could have cared less about their inane ramblings and was focusing in on whatever the detectives were saying about me.

"Carrie has an illegitimate love child."

"You have some explaining to do, Kimberly," Clapp mentioned.

"Okay, before I begin to tell you everything that is wrong with that sentence, I remind you that her girlfriend is in the room. Behave."

"Hi," I exhaled, leading them both to where the detectives were sitting. "Sorry, I'm babysitting tonight."

They erupted into laughter at the idea of it. 

"You?" Clapp spat out in disbelief, probably only able to believe it because the proof was right before him.

"Yes, me," I said tersely. "This is Charlotte."

I saw Kim trying to hold in laughter, before she clarified, "Carrie...Carrie...and Charlotte?"

I rolled my eyes, knowing where this was going. "Yes, Kim, go ahead and say it."

"Are Samantha and Miranda out waiting in the car?"

"And, there it is," I said unceremoniously. "You're too funny for your own good."

Jenn was the only one who laughed at Kim's joke while the rest of the detectives scratched their heads.

"I don't get it," Bagley said out loud, to which the rest of them began to chorus similar sentiments.

"You wouldn't," I said flatly. "You're men."

"Can we listen to whatever you guys have before Carrie's sister murders us both?" Jenn requested, sitting down with them.

"Can't very well investigate your own homicide, can you, Carver?" noted Clapp.

"I'd find a way," she shrugged. "I sure as hell don't trust you guys with it."

"That's why we're sex crimes."

"What is a sex crime?" Charlotte asked again.

"Good move, Detective," I muttered.

"I'm sorry," Clapp shrugged. "I'm not child proof."

"Well figure it out," I urged.

"Hey, Charlotte," Clapp lit up. "Wanna see how we listen to an old telephone call?"

"That's the same tactic you used with my intern," I pointed out.

"Well stop bringing children in here, and I won't have to no more," he quipped quietly.

"She wasn't a child when you were hitting on her," Kim noted.

"Excuse me?"

"Okay," Bagley said. "Play the tape from the bug."

"I'm sorry, I'm confused," I admitted. "Kim, you tapped your phone on purpose?"

"Technically, no," she said. "With a tap neither party is aware that the conversation is being recorded. I just taped it with an inline recorder."

"God, this is going to be really messy if she did leave you."

"Let's remain positive," she suggested. "Listen to the tape."

Clapp pressed the button and it was Grace's irritating little soprano that I heard first.

"Hello?"