Chapter 8: Twenty Years Later

I had returned to Kansas with Chelsea, Marie, and Jason. Amber stayed behind. She said that she couldn't go with somebody like me. Good riddance, I'll say. The survivors were put into quarantine zones. It turned out that I wasn't the only one. The humans called us Anthropomorphics. Animals with human bodies. The thing is, I was a human before this. The rest were all animals. And the only Anthropomorphics that survived were foxes and wolfs. They were looked down upon.

I was able to be in the quarantine zone unlike the others, but I was under constant research. I was told that all Anthropomorphics were almost just like humans, but still had the appearance of animals. The quarantine zones were the only areas unaffected by the chemicals. Jason's neighborhood was one of those areas, but the bigots threw me out because of my 'problem'. It wasn't a problem. The Anthropomorphics were unable to age, had amazing agility, and could sneak with no problem. Well a fox Anthropomorphic anyways. The wolves were unable to age and had very good fighting techniques as well as strength.

We were able to reproduce just like humans and even with humans. I didn't know many of the orders (laws) of the zones, but I knew they were unfair. There were 455 orders. Order 455 stated that nobody can leave or enter the zone without two hundred ration cards. We'd get  three ration cards a day and one ration card paid for one meal. So basically, you'd have to starve if you wanted to leave and come back to the zone. Unless you were kicked out, that is.