Chapter 13: Woodland People

We sat by the mid-night fire. The flames danced upon our faces. Chelsea had dug up her old axe and I was examining it. Brian had gone to sleep while Jason and I stayed up speaking to Chelsea.

"Something's different 'bout you. I can't think of it though," She told me.

"Is it the fact that I'm still a fox?" I asked. She laughed.

"No. I still remember uncle Jason aimin' that gun at ya'," she replied. I grinned, as did Jason.

"I wish I still had that old sawn off. Military took it from me when we left Brooklyn," Jason said. I nodded and stood up to stretch.

"Well. I guess I'll see you guys in the morning," I said yawning.

"Good night, dad," Chelsea said. I went in the pawn shop where Chelsea had recently shot an arrow from and fell asleep on the cold floor.

I woke up to footsteps. I stood up quickly and pulled Chelsea's axe from under the bedroll Brian was recently sleeping on. Slowly, I crawled out through the empty space where the window had been.  A group of maybe...three men and four women stood facing Chelsea, Jason, and Brian.  I lowered the axe, but kept it at the ready. I approached, ready for a surprise attack.

Keep in mind, I had no idea who they were at the time. They could have been looters or raiders. I had no idea about this wasteland at that time.

I carefully pushed through the small group towards my companions and turned to face the strangers. One of the men laughed.

"Chelsea, you could've gotten an older one than this," he said.

"He's 43, Andy," she replied. At that, he laughed even harder. We were all silent until he collected himself.

"Why's he so...young looking?" Andy asked.

"You know why, dip-shit," replied one of the females. She had bright red hair. No way it was natural. Her face was benign and her voice was soft and motherly which was surprising due to her colorful choice of words.

"Wait a second. What are you talking about?" I asked. They all had a surprised look on their faces.

"Well, I'm not sure where you're from, but well...Anthropomorphics stop aging when they're fourteen years old. If they were older than fourteen when they changed, their age will decrease until they reach that age level and then...yeah," she replied.

"Really? I felt shorter," I laughed. "I'm Ethan."

"Sandra," she said. "Nice to meet you. We're the woodland people..according to the local quarantine zones."

"I heard about you. Don't you fight the Anthropomorphic tribes?" Jason asked. She laughed.

"No. Out here, you'll learn that the quarantine zone lies. You'll never know the truth in there," she replied. Andy walked in the pawn shop.

"What's he doing?" Chelsea asked. Another female spoke this time. She was African-American and had very short hair.

"What do you think? Obviously, he's getting the axe you said you had," she replied. Her voice was hoarse and nowhere near as comforting as Sandra's.

"Rochelle, that's my father's axe," Chelsea replied.

"Like I care," she mumbled. I stepped in.

"Look, like she said, it's my axe," I said.

Rochelle laughed.

"Shut it, fox. We'll take whatever the hell we want," she replied.

"Rochelle, shut up. Andy! Don't get the axe, take some of Chelsea's food," Sandra yelled. "So, looks like you guys are traveling."

"Yeah. My dad and uncle are. I think I'll go with them. The tree worshipers are getting a bit more skilled," Chelsea said quickly. I gave a tiny nod.  I really couldn't believe what was said recently. I was fourteen? There was no way.

"Well, come with us back to our camp. From there we'll send you to wherever you need to go," Sandra proffered. Chelsea smiled a bit.

*****

The trip to there camp wasn't long, but it was extremely tiring. There were a small number of Anthropomorphics trading with the other so-called woodland people. They scowled when they saw me and quickly approached us.

"What the hell are you doing here?" one of them said. He was a goat. Wow, they even lied about the species of Anthropomorphics.

"Calm down, Archer. He's not in a tribe," Sandra said.

"Hehe...not yet," he said suspiciously.

"I probably wont join a tribe," I said in his face.

"Sure you wont." He walked back to the trading post.

"Don't worry, Ethan. He's not serious. It's your choice if you join or not," Andy explained. The wolf was starting to awake.

"We'd best get inside before she's entirely conscious," Sandra said. We walked up to the wooden gate of  the camp. Rochelle knocked on it and it opened up for us to enter. It slammed loudly behind us. There were more Anthropomorphics and woodland people inside. None of them payed attention to us, but a small boy ran up to Sandra. Her son.

"Hunter, go back home for a second," she commanded. He ignored it.

"Mom, are they new members? Who are they?" he asked. I laughed.

"Son. Go. Home," she repeated. This time he obeyed. We went to the large building in the center or the camp and stepped inside. It was full of corridors, but we went in the first room on the right.

"Lay her on the table," Sandra told Andy who was now carrying her. He set her down.

"Just wait. She'll be a little high when she wakes up," Brian said.

"Well, nah," I said sarcastically. 

"Shut up," he replied. I smiled.

*****

She started to wake up after about an hour of waiting. So much for it. She didn't even have the high effect. She lashed out and bit Chelsea on the arm. Andy pushed her down. Jason and I rushed to Chelsea side and helped her to the exit of the large wooden building and led her to the west wing of then camp where a so-called clinic was. The woodland people took her off our hands and did nothing but wrapped her arm in gauze.

When Jason and I returned there were other Anthropomorphics in the room. I assume they calmed her down. I sat down next to her. They had given her a pair of khaki shorts and a polo shirt. Male clothing. I grinned at the sight.

"You OK?" I asked.

"No. what the  hell happened?" She asked.

"Be grateful. We just saved you from years of research or worse," Jason said. She looked up, suprised, and gasped.

"Where was I?" She asked.

"In a quarantine zone," I replied.

"Do you have Neema berries?" She asked.

"Neema berries? Um...no. I've never heard of them," I said.

"Damn. They started growing as a result of the chemical. I had to collect them for my partner," she replied. I looked up at her and she cocked her head a bit.

"What tribes are there?" Im asked.

"I can't let you know until you're in a tribe yourself." She stood up. "C'mon, lets go get those berries," she said.

"Umm.....OK. I guess," I replied hesitantly. We walked out the door.