Chapter 12: Chelsea's Downfall (The Truth)

We were preparing for the attack that was suspected to be coming our way. The defenders had already fortified the walls with mounted turrets-gifts from the army-and men. My axe was in a small display case, wrapped in velvet cloth saved from the outsiders in Indianapolis. We had explored far from Kansas and had even gone back to Brooklyn. I hadn't seen my father or uncle since we had arrived here.

Jason had decided to come with my father and I when we left Brooklyn. After about an hour of dad telling him no, he finally gave up and told Jason to get his things. Aunt Marie stayed behind.

That voice was in my head again, repeating it'sself over and over. "I will defend my territory until it is no more, and until the flame in my heart is extinguished." I continuously told it to shut up silently. I opened the case and pulled out the axe. I ran my fingers over the dragon that was carved into the cold steel when it was forged. Wow, this must've taken years to perfect, I thought.

"Chelsea! C'mon. They're here," Martin yelled. Martin was, what the Anthropomorphics would call, my mate. I laughed at the thought of calling him that. I stood up from the bench I was sitting on in the barracks and walked out the door.

"Chelsea, be careful, OK? I don't want Brian pulling you out o' here," Martin said.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine," I replied. I stepped slowly to the main gates. I could hear them screaming as they came closer and closer. I took a knife out of my boot and stuck it through the thick layer of oak wood that we called a gate. It was a sign of war. It showed those things that we didn't fear them. I kicked the gate open and ran towards them. The first one was wearing a strange leaf based jacket and his face was wrapped in leaves completely. He had shoes made of bark. They had a strange sense in fashion. I swung the axe into his stomach and he jumped out of the way.

I had always complained over how nimble they were. Nothing was more annoying than missing one of those things with a dagger. I swung a second time and the axe went through the side of his neck, leaving him dead. The others seemed to ignore me and ran straight into the trap at the enterance of the zone. At least twelve of them were crushed by rocks.  The rest climbed over the large boulders and started the real attack. I ran towards them and got one from behind. The military watched from outside. The cowards.

I lifted my middle finger to them as I started climbing over the rocks. They just laughed. Yeah, just laugh it off assholes. I entered to see that they had already been taken down by the small amount of archers on the roof of the clinic. I may have underestimated the others. It was declared that we had won the third battle with no losses. The celebration was surprisingly dull. To me anyway. As usual, the small tavern in which we always celebrated in was filled with the roaring sound of laughter and drunks stumbling into tables.

One of the drunks came over to where Martin and I were sitting.

"Are ya' gonna come and have some fun or not?" he asked.

"If you don't go away, I could find the fun pleasure of stabbing you," I replied.

"Well OK then," he said and walked away. Martin scooted away jokingly and laughed, but quickly scooted back.

"Chelsea...I...I have to tell you something," he said. Oh, great. I just really wanted it to get serious at this point.

"What?" I asked.

"You need to go see your dad," he replied. I hadn't seen him since we had arrived here, years before.

"Why?" I asked.

"I would if I were you," was all he said. Then he got up and walked away. I stood up quickly and followed, but was stopped by our leader.

"Come with me," was all he said before he turned quickly and pulled pulled me by my arm.

"You know, you don't have to pull my arm out of it's socket," I said. He was silent until we were in his office.

"Chelsea." he sighed. "You are envied by to many of our defenders," he started.

"And?" I replied.

"I have to ask you to leave the quarantine zone forever."

"What!? That's complete bullshit! You asshole," I said quickly. It felt good to do that.

"I'm sorry, but what else can I do?"

"Umm...you can keep me here because you're a dumb ass. Who the hell sends a person away because they are envied?"

"I don't like your attitude."

"And I don't like your stupidity." At that, I stormed out the door and was escorted out by soldiers.

And so, I came to the small town in Wichita. Never though I would see my father again. Well now...it seems I have.