Chapter 9 : To The Misty Mountains

Gandalf and I walk down the hallway in a quick but quiet pace past the room in which Lord Elrond has allowed the dwarves to stay in. Gandalf and I share another room away from the others. Gandalf waited very patiently for Elrond to leave before pulling me away quickly to our room so that he could talk with me about something. I can tell it's something of great importance or of secrecy.

Once inside our room, Gandalf motions for me to lean in so that he can whisper just in case we're being watched "Ivy. I am sorry to say but I will not be going with you and the company tomorrow" he whispers.

Confusion fills my face "What? Why aren't you coming?" I ask.

"I suspect that Elrond has sent for Saruman" Gandalf whispers looking around "If Saruman is here, then the quest will be delayed. But Thorin needs to get to the mountain as soon as possible. I'll need you to take the company as early as you can and lead them on. Saruman will want to discuss much with me and if he catches wind of you being here, well, he'll suspect something."

I roll my eyes "Of course, Saruman has never trusted me" I add with a huff "So you're going to distract Saruman while the company escapes?"

Gandalf nods "Yes. But Ivy-" he pauses "I need you to make sure the company doesn't run into any trouble. Once you get to the Misty Mountains, wait for me there. I will join you as soon as possible."

I nod "Okay."

Gandalf smiles "Here," he says pulling out Atlanta, the sword. Once again, my breath is taken away by some unknown force surrounding the sword "take this" Gandalf says trying to hand it to me. Confused, I immediately begin to refuse "Please take it. It belongs to you, the last of your Kin. Use it to protect yourself and the company."

I shake my head "Doesn't mean I'm the right person to wield it."

"Don't doubt yourself so much, Ivy. There will come a time when you will see otherwise."

Gandalf forces Atlanta in my right hand, forcing my grip around it before I can refuse again. I wrap my fingers around the black casing, tracing over the patterns embedded into the handle, amazed by its detail.

"See you at the Misty Mountains," Gandalf says with a nod "And do not let Thorin overpower you. If he does then you have no way of stopping them at the Misty Mountain's pass."

"Come on, Gandalf. It's me" I say smugly "I'm not one to sway easily."

***

I watch as Gandalf and Elrond walk down the hall towards the council room, not taking a second thought as I sneak away and back down the hall towards the room the dwarves and Bilbo had been sleeping. As I walk in, the dwarves are already packed and ready, all jumping to their feet as they see me. I signal that the coast is clear and lead the group through the hallway. Every now and then, I signal for the company to stop as I peer around corners, but it appears to be too early for many elves to be out and about, which makes the process of leaving even easier.

"Where are you going?" Thorin asks as we weave through hallways and down a dirt road.

"To the exit," I answer, rolling my eyes.

"How do you know it's that way?" Bofur asks.

I stop and turn around slowly, slightly annoyed "Questions. So many questions" I grumble "I just do, okay. Trust me" I add beginning to walk again with a little more force in my step. I can hear the footsteps of the dwarves following behind me. We begin to walk back over the bridge that we passed on our way in and towards the main entrance.

"Be on your guard. We're about to step over the edge of the Wild!" Thorin yells back.

"Master Baggins, I suggest you keep up!" Thorin yells back to Bilbo. I give Thorin a glance of anger. He doesn't give Bilbo any credit for anything. He may be small, but he hasn't gotten the chance to prove himself yet. We leave Rivendell and continue down the road the way we were originally going before being interrupted by the Orcs.