Chapter 26 : Together

I cut down another orc in a never-ending wave of orc bodies. I had long lost count of how many orcs I have killed, for all I know I could be well over a couple hundred, which it feels like, my body aching. I can feel bruises and small cuts all over my body, acquiring more as I slowly begin to tire, but not enough to give up. My clothes are soaked in the foul blood of orcs, its liquid thick and sticky. I'm going to smell awful later. I must look crazed, my hair tangled in a bird's nest, my skin stained in black blood, probably making me look like some form of swamp monster.

The dwarves slowly drop in number, only a small army now, ever fighting on to destroy the orcs despite everything not looking too good in their favour. Soon enough the number of orcs slowly begin to decrease, allowing me for a moment to realise how many bodies lay dead on the ground, more orc than dwarf and elf thankfully. In the distance I can hear the battle at Dale, orcs still flooding into its walls like there was nothing there, to begin with. Gandalf will be taking control over there, I'm positive of that, but I still pray for the poor people of Lake Town, having lost so much and yet to still lose more in a battle they hadn't chosen to be part of.

Returning to the fight, I feel a slight amount of hope with the number of orcs slowly declining. How different the day started, on a plan to fight dwarves only to end up fighting beside them against orcs. Although Legolas had warned me of this coming, I didn't expect it to come this soon. The orcs would have travelled far for this fight, which makes me wonder how long they had been planning this attack, but then Gandalf did say that their plans were forced with the mountain being reclaimed.

Getting caught off guard, an orc lunges at me, pushing me off my balance as it gets its filthy hands on my shoulder. I throw my elbow back, hitting it in the nose, causing it to tumble backwards. I quickly cut down another orc that rushes in from my side. Turning back to the orc behind me, I plunge my sword into its head, groaning as I must yank it back out with brute force.

"Ivy!" I hear Thorin's voice yell.

Turning in the direction that his voice came, I catch sight of Thorin defending of Orcs as he tries to make his way towards me. I then notice the giant goat behind him as he leads it with him. The Iron Hill dwarves must have brought it with them much like Dain's boar. I decide to help him out, making my way over to Thorin also killing orcs in my path towards the dwarf. Once we reach each other we still can't consult as more orcs appear. Back to back, Thorin and I fend off the orcs, eventually achieving a moment.

"Wouldn't have expected to see you here helping my kin" Thorin says, his breath short.

"It seems you have misjudged my character," I say hitting down an Orc that got to close for comfort.

"Yes, it would seem," Thorin says cutting down another Orc "I am dearly sorry. I was too blind to see that you are a true loyal friend" Thorin apologises "I don't deserve any of that loyalty for the horrendous way I have treated you. After all you have done for me and my kin I should not have been so quick to judge you based on yours. There excuse for that behaviour, no way for that to be forgiven. But I hope that you can accept my apology."

Having a moment of a break from attacking orcs we both come to stand still, turning to face each other. I smile, only now seeing how much he looks like his old self and not that stranger from the mountain. It's not often that Thorin apologises for anything, but for once he has and I'm glad. He's finally realised that not everyone is out to be against him, he's grown in character, finally seeing things for what they are. Erebor or no Erebor.

"Thorin, I accept your apology as long as you get rid of that bad attitude" I tease, unable to help myself as I pull the dwarf in for a hug. I'm surprised when he doesn't hesitate but hugs me back tightly instead.