Chapter 20 : More Orcs

Oin, Fili and I sit by Kili, waiting for Bofur to return, having done everything possible for him for now. Bard and Bain have already left with the black arrow, ready for if that shaking was into fact Smaug. With that in mind, I'm fearful for the company and Bilbo. Are they ok? Are they dead already? Was it even Smaug? Or was it the dwarves trying to get into the mountain? No one knows the answer, but Bard is dead set on the idea that its Smaug coming to kill us all.

Feeling the repercussions of the last few days crashing down on me, I feel my body begin to ache, everything tired and worn. I stretch out my muscles, walking towards the kitchen to see what food Bard has, which may help Kili in some way. I lean back on the table, cracking my back, feeling better straight away. Sighing, I begin to look through the cupboards, deciding not to disturb Sigrid outside or little Tilda who is curled up in a ball. I rub my eyes, feeling the blood rush to my head as I lean down. Damn, I must be so tired.

Reaching into the back of the cupboard to feel around, I pause, hearing a faint creaking noise in the roof. I lean back on my heels, looking up at the roof curiously for a second. I dismiss this as a house on a lake. Water moves, therefore creaky house. I close the cupboard door, reaching for another when a louder creak catches my attention. Ok, that was defiantly something other than water.

I jump alarmed as I hear Sigrid scream and slam the door. On my feet, turning so fast I almost get wipe lash, I watch an Orc smash the door open sending Sigrid to the floor, its sword raised. Another door opens and another Orc strides inside. Oin throws a few plates at its head. Running to Sigrid's aid, I'm caught off guard by an orc falling through the roof, shrieking loudly. Falling back onto the cupboard, I grab a wooden spoon off the bench next to it, hitting the orc in the head sending it backwards. Fili tackles with one of the Orcs to the floor, more seeming to appear out of nowhere. Another Orc falls through the roof.

"Get down!" Sigrid shouts to Tilda, pulling her under the table.

An Orc leaps onto the balcony in front of the house, rushing through the now destroyed door. I look around hysterically look for something to defend myself with but to no success. We have no weapons to defend ourselves yet more and more orcs flood into the small house. I remember my longbow by the bed next to Kili, immediately headed in that direction, but get cut off by two orcs, forcing me to run back to the kitchen.

I run over to the girls, I could get them out of here and get them too safely, but I need to help move Kili. As my mind is torn and I find myself completely lost and helpless, a red flash appears in the room. I peer over the table to see the red-headed she-elf from Mirkwood drawing her daggers. She begins to stab through the orc bodies, allowing me time to pull Sigrid and Tilda behind me and push them away from the table as another Orc falls through the roof.

I let out a shriek as the orc jumps off the table, engaging on me and the girls with a sword. I feel the two girls behind me shake and hold onto me in fear. Pushing the girls back in an attempt to save then, I chuck myself towards the orc in hopes it hits me instead of the girls. Its sword barely reaches me as I'm splattered in the orc's blood, an arrow embedded in its skull. watch in shock as an arrow goes through the Orc's head. Legolas falls through the hole in the roof, his bow loaded and ready as the orcs engage on him. I let myself feel relief as by some medical of god we've been sent a saviour. The orcs begin to flee as Legolas and the redhead slaughter their companions.

Bain, who had returned to the house at some point during the commission, looks around in amazement at all the dead bodies.

Breathless, I walk over to Legolas and cross my arms "What are you doing here?" I ask.

"Hunting the Orcs that hunt your dwarf friends" Legolas explains, not seeming surprised to see me. He pulls a sword off his back and hands it too me "I believe this is yours."