Chapter 24 : Turn of Events

The morning came faster than I wanted it to arrive, the night before being nothing but stressful and restless. I spent the whole night wondering if joining Thranduil and Bard in the morning would be the best decision and if I really could fight my friends if it came down to it. I prayed, and still do, that Thorin will comes to his senses to just give over some gold and the gems. He'd still come out richer than any of us, but something tells me that wouldn't matter to the stubborn dwarf.

Thranduil and Bard ride together at the head of the army, Bard seeming small and duller than the King seated upon his bulk in silver shined armour. Always have to show up presentable when you're Lord Thranduil. I follow slowly behind on my chestnut horse, the army on my heels, the few men of Lake Town armed behind me seeming so small among the elven warriors. Bard and Thranduil ride up to the wreckage of the bridge that had been there yesterday, knocked down. Thorin and the Company all look over the top, armed. Before a word is even spoken, an arrow flies, hitting the ground at Thranduil's Buck's feet. Thranduil glares up at Thorin, who had been the one to shoot the arrow.

"I will put the next one between your eyes!" Thorin says with a growl. He loads his bow again with the dwarves cheering holding up their weapons.

Thranduil nods his head, instantly, several rows of Elves near the front of the Mountain pull out their bows, then load arrows and aim at the dwarves. All the dwarves stop cheering and duck behind the barricade but Thorin stands his ground, still aiming his arrow. Stubborn as always.

Thranduil gives another nod and the elves put their bows away "We've come to tell you, payment of your debt has been offered and accepted" Thranduil says in a clear, loud voice.

"What payment? I gave you nothing! You have nothing!" Thorin yells.

"We have this," Bard says reaching into his coat and pulling out the Arkenstone, he holds it above his head for the dwarves to see. Thorin lowers his bow shocked, a series of thoughts rush across his face, his mind all over the place, something I'm not used to coming from Thorin.

"They have the Arkenstone? Thieves! How come you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the king!" Kili yells in horror.

"And the king may have it! In our goodwill," Bard says placing the Arkenstone back in his cloak "But first he must honour his word" Bard says strongly.

In a low tone, only just loud enough for a few of us down below to hear, Thorin says "They are taking us for fools. This is a ruse. A filthy lie" Thorin pauses, almost as if to convince himself of his own words, before yelling in rage "The Arkenstone is in this mountain! It is a trick!"

I give out a long sigh. I know Thorin to have times of stupidity and stubbornness, but this is so much more than that. The dragon sickness is clearly already having huge effects on his mind, thus why before he seemed to be almost fighting with himself in a mental battle. Who knows what's going on inside his head.

"It's no trick" I hear Bilbo's voice say "The stone is real. I gave it to them"

Feeling my breath hitch, my stomach drops upon hearing his voice. The silly little hobbit supposed to leave this morning, for the Shire. Not the Mountain. I can already see that Thorin is blinded by the sickness and isn't thinking straight, Bilbo is putting himself in so much danger just by even being there, never mind admitting to the crime!

Thorin turns around slowly, his face turning dark "You..." he says disgustedly.

"I took it as my fourteenth share" Bilbo explains himself.

"You would steal from me?" Thorin shouts in a cold voice.

"Steal from you? No. No. I may be a burglar, but I like to think I'm an honest one. I'm willing to let it stand against my claim" Bilbo says trying to make things easier for him and Thorin.