Chapter 16 : Barrels and Water

"I'll wager the suns on the rise. It must be nearly dawn" Bofur says with a long sigh. I also let out a sigh, tired from the restless sleep that I was in and feeling completely drained after crying.

"We're never going to reach the mountain, are we?" Ori asks.

"Not stuck in here, you're not!" I hear Bilbo's voice whisper shaking keys.

"Bilbo!" Balin and I cry out in time, jumping up to the cell doors. A few other dwarves also yell out.

"Shhh! There are guards nearby!" Bilbo hushes us.

He runs around opening the cell doors up. I smile as he opens my cell, ruffling Bilbo's hair causing his to smile. I quickly run back into my cell and grab my cloak, but the dwarves leave theirs. I'm just being practical for the long run! We all go to walk up the stairs, but Bilbo stops us "Not that way, down here. Follow me" Bilbo leads us through the Woodland Realm, down and up some bridges "This way," he says.

Kili whisper yells "I don't believe it. We're in the cellars!" The dwarves begin to get mad at Bilbo.

"You were supposed to be leading us out, not further in!" Bofur says. Bilbo gestures for us to go behind a pile of barrels, which all have one end open.

"Everyone, climb into the barrels, quickly!" Bilbo says.

"Are you mad? They'll find us!" Dwalin whisper yells. I nod agreeing.

"No, no, they won't, I promise you. Please, please, you must trust me!" Bilbo pleads.

"Do as he says!" Thorin whispers. Everyone sighs and gets into the barrels. I get into one of the top barrels and curl into a ball. Bilbo comes along counting the dwarves.

"What do we do now?" Bofur asks.

"Hold your breath" I hear Bilbo whisper.

"Hold my breath?" Bofur questions.

I hear a click, an odd sound rumbling through the floor before it starts to tilt on an angle. All the barrels begin to roll into an opening in the floor. I shriek as mine begins to roll off the top of the others, hitting the floor as I begin to spin, making me dizzy. I hold onto the sides of my barrel as I roll over the edge and fall several feet into a river. I hold my breath as told when I hit the water, feeling the water wrap around me in the barrel. I lose my sense of direction before I feel my barrel float up. I take a deep breath as the air hits me again. The dwarves all help each other keep their barrels upright. Then we all look up waiting for Bilbo. We wait for about three minutes before Bilbo comes falling out of the hatch. Nori pulls him up out of the water. Bilbo holds onto Nori's barrel.

"Well done, Master Baggins," Thorin says with a giant grin. Bilbo waves his hand in thanks, half drowned by the water "Come on, let's go."

All of us soaked, we all begin to paddle with our hands as the current in the river begins to pull our barrels down the river. We all nearly get blinded by the sunlight as it hits us. I listen as Thorin voice yells out "Hold on!" I grip onto the sides of the barrel as it goes falling down a waterfall, another shriek leaving my throat, barrels plunging through the rocks, splattering water everywhere, but soon go back to float smoothly as we continue down the river.

I look around as the sound of an elven horn is blown. I look ahead of us and remember the gate at the river "They're shutting the gate!" I yell.

"No!" Thorin yells as the gates shut. The barrels hit into each other all piling into the gate. When all hope is lost we hear another horn, but it's not elvish, it's Orc! We all look up as an elves body falls on top of us. Gloin pushes it into the water with disgust.