Chapter 27 : Price of War

I have watched many of my friends die, in sickness, war and old age. Some harder to witness than others, but every time, not matter what the case, I get the same arrangement of emotions. First, the feeling of my heart being ripped out of my chest, getting crushed into a million pieces. Second, the crushing wave of realisation that knocks the breath out of my lungs. Then last, the feeling that the world is emptier, more silent than it was before. Words cannot describe the sickening feeling that comes clouding my thoughts and body after that.

Azog rips his sword out of Fili's chest and throws him over the edge of the balcony. His body seems to fall slowly, allowing us to catch a full glimpse of the dwarf. His face usually filled with smiles and laughter, now blank...empty. Fili disappears from my view, pulling a cry I didn't realise I had clogged in my throat out, loud and painful. I cover my mouth in shock and freeze where I stand as all three of the gut-wrenching feeling hit at once, knocking me over, unprepared. Tears begin to appear in my eyes, some escaping and rolling down my cheeks.

"katu enduk your filavhausan bloodline! (Translation: Here ends your filthy bloodline!)" Azog yells so suddenly it courses me to jump.

Suddenly we hear a cry below in the mist before Kili appears through the mist running up the stairs towards Azog "Kili!" Thorin yells beginning to run across the frozen river after him.

"Thorin!" Dwalin yells "Thorin...No!"

I stand still frozen and shocked by the events that just pasted. I can't find the strength to do anything; in fact, I don't know what I should do! Thorin, I god, what pain would he be caused if this is how I react. And Kili...I couldn't imagine the pain and fury that he'd be feeling. And what am I doing? Standing here, grief already hitting me like a ton of bricks even though I knew Fili for so little time compared to the others.

"Ivy," Dwalin says, trying to get my attention. I don't respond "Ivy! Listen to me" Dwalin says grabbing my shoulders and forcing me to look at him "You go find Thorin and Kili. Get 'em to safety, even if you have to drag 'em" Dwalin says continuing to shake me under I nod, declaring I understand "Good" we hear cries. Orcs begin to run towards us "Go!" Dwalin yells pushing me to the frozen river "Go! I've got this."

I nod, not sure I could keep it together if I spoke. Stumbling forward, losing my footing for a moment, I run across the frozen river into the ruins, forcing myself not to look at the figure laying lifeless in the distance. I run up the stairs in search of Thorin and Kili, looking in every crack and crevice I can find. It soon becomes clear to me that there's nothing, not a dwarf, not an orc, nothing.

My ears pick up the distant sound of swords hitting each other, immediately drawing me towards it. I peek through the ruins to see Azog and Thorin fighting on the frozen river below. I see orcs approaching from the distance, praying towards Thorin. Panic erupting in me forcing me to get my mind together, I quickly whirl around, weaving back through the ruins to go help Thorin. I don't get far, orcs flooding into the ruins at me. I fight with them for what feels like a lifetime, trying to get away from this ruckus to help Thorin who must be using every bit of strength he has left.

Finally making it down the ruins, I walk out onto the frozen river, collecting some arrows from the dead orc bodies whilst cutting down more that approach me. Quickly loading my bow, I shoot down five orcs in a row, relieving Thorin of so much strain. Running, I scream hitting down the orcs with hard hits letting out all the emotion I'm balling up in an attempt to stop myself from falling apart, while my other friends still need my help. Black blood splatters all over the white snow touched frozen river as I hit an orc more time than necessary, its face becoming more disorientated than before.

With more orcs coming, I run over to Thorin, only now realising that he's alone "Where's Kili?" I ask, my voice sounding weird to me. Almost like it's not mine.