Chapter Five

Chapter 5: Alone in Egypt

            Miranda, Logan, and I all walked along a dust path with a bunch pyramids. Miranda was looking at her map intently and Logan was polishing his sword. Me? I was walking quietly. “I think we need to go left,” Miranda announced.

            “Miranda, how can you tell, this is the same dirt path and the same pyramids, How do you know which way is the right way?” Logan asked.

            “I think we should just see where we end up and see how close we are to the Heart Stone.” I suggested.

            They both nodded and we started walking straight. “You both realize we will have to fight Fay, in the end when we are finally broken down.” Miranda said.

            “Miranda, I think that is eight years away. Let’s take time and just enjoy the-”

            “BOOM!”

            A pyramid started shaking and it was crushed down and a bunch of small mummies started piling out of it. I could hear small screams and then, they noticed us. They started running down the sand hill and came at least three cars lengths away from us. Miranda and Logan grabbed their swords, when I saw them grab their swords I reached for mine and slashed it. The explosion happened and all three of us were forced back toward the wall. As we struggled to get up, the mummies started running toward us. Miranda grabbed her sword and stabbed three mummies in the heart and they flew back and exploded out of sight.

            “That’s how monsters die,” Logan said while shaking a mummy off of his sword. He stabbed six more and they did the same thing as Miranda’s mummies did, then I snapped back into reality and saw three more mummies coming toward us. I hit them, and Miranda stabbed them. We were free.

            “I’ll teach you how to fight later, when we are alone.”

            Alone? I wondered and smiled. We defeated the mummies and were back on our trip. That was the scariest thing I’ve ever seen.

            “You’ll see scarier things,” Logan said as though he was reading my thoughts.

            We kept walking and nothing happened. Then another mummy ran up to us, alone. What an idiot! Who would come up to us alone without anything?

            Miranda, without looking, stabbed him in the heart and he flew. It was nice seeing him die. It was getting dark and we had to set up a place to sleep. Logan picked a spot and we put down our sleeping bags. Where we were, there were no pyramids or dirt roads.

            At night Logan fell asleep.

            It was just Miranda and I and we were alone.

            “You ready to practice?” she asked.

            “I have been.”

            I grabbed my sword and she grabbed hers and we started fighting. She taught me the twirl and stab, the jab, the eyes in the back of the head stab, and a ton of others. In the end, I became a pretty good swordsman. Logan woke up telling us that it was his turn to watch, so we went to bed.

***

            I woke up with a start to hear moaning and growling. Miranda and Logan were on both of my sides looking at each other. We got up with our swords up and ready to kill this beast when we saw a shadow.

            The shadow was huge! It had a weird looking head, with fingers on its hands, just when we about jumped, out came a thirteen year old boy with messy hair.

            “Excuse me, but can you help me?” The boy asked.

            “Who are you?” Logan said eyeing the boy up and down.

            “My name is Ausar, I lost my family and I don’t know where to go.”

            “Wait a second,” Miranda said, “Ausar was the boy who was killed by his younger brother.”

            “That is not me!” Ausar said firmly.

            “I heard, you’re Osiris, your brother killed you for the throne of Egypt. Your brother is Seth!”

            “So it is true, I am Osiris, Seth, though is still out there planning on killing me completely.” Osiris said.

            “So you didn’t die when Seth threw you in the river and Isis tried to find you?” Logan asked.

            “Isis had found me, her and her friends. They felt so bad that they put me back to life.” Osiris said.

            “So you’re a god?” Miranda asked with disbelief.

            Osiris nodded.

“Oh my gosh, I’ve always wanted to meet a god, but, how are you hurt?”

            “I’m not hurt, I’m confused.”

            “Who would admit that?” I asked, and then Logan nudged my side.

            “Well, you can come with us; we’re on a quest for the Heart Stone to stop Hatshepsut. It will be dangerous, and take at least eight years, but you can come with us.” Miranda said hastily.

            “I would like that very much.” Osiris exclaimed.

            And the four of us were off; we were on our journey not as alone.