Chapter Eight

Chapter 8:    The Sphinx

            We had to go off track, off the dirt road we had been traveling for over two days. We past people and pyramids. Nothing jumped out, not even a single mummy. I was waiting for one because I was planning on doing the awesome trick Miranda had taught me the night before.

            Just then, Osiris stopped. I looked at what he had stopped before and noticed it was a Sphinx. She had the color of pure gold. She was alive, moving, watching every move Miranda, Logan, and I had taken. Osiris just stood there, making no motion. “Stop moving,” Osiris said.

            When he said that we all stopped and looked up, the Sphinx’s eyes had turned to a dark, deep red. Her paws were moving in a circular motion waving back and forth.

            Logan, not hearing Osiris’ orders, kept practicing his sword fighting. He slashed here and there until a huge green boom had come. As we got up, the Sphinx’s eyes were now black, which meant she was angry. She showed her teeth and started biting at us. Still, not paying attention, Logan was practicing with his sword. The Sphinx grabbed him and whipped him around throwing him the direction we wanted to go. The Sphinx smiled and grabbed for Osiris but we all stepped back and ran the direction Logan was.

            We ran through different types of papyrus and flew through the streams. Running straight, we found Logan, lying on the ground bleeding and moaning. Logan was hurt and Osiris, this time, had no chance of saving him.

            “We have to help him, he can’t die! He has to help us through this trip!” Miranda started to cry. She really had feelings for Logan. She had only known him for four days and she’s from Florida and he’s from Maine.

            I looked at her and it killed me seeing her like this. She had a small strand of dark hair on her face. She put one of her hands on his chest and the other on his forehead. She checked his pulse – None. “Logan’s out cold, he won’t make it.” Osiris said.

            “He has to; he’s been working with us this entire trip. We have to finish this together.” I said. I had the feeling I was going to cry. Seeing my one friend that I had make on this trip fade away, I just couldn’t!

            Logan woke up, having the look of sympathy. His eyes were now purple and his hair was now brown, he was a completely different person on the outside. “What’s everyone doing? Who are you?” he asked.

            “I’m Miranda, this is Osiris, and that’s Brandon, Logan, don’t you remember?” Miranda asked.

            “I have to find the heart stone alone, I need to go.” He said demandingly. He left.

            Miranda ran to catch up with him and asked him what was wrong.

            “We can’t work together.”

            She stopped and started to cry.

            He looked back and walked away. His shadow was now just a pile of dirt and he was gone. I was done working with Logan, for good. He might have been rude at some times, and annoying, but him and I could’ve been really good friends.

            Miranda walked back to Osiris and me and started sobbing. “I need to tell you something Brandon.”

            “What is it?” I asked.

            “Logan and I, we were brother and sister, he and I have been together for our entire life.”

            “But, I thought you lived far away from each other.”

            “Our parents are divorced, he lives with my dad in Maine and I live with my mom in Florida, we were really close but whenever someone asks us, we deny it.”

            “So that’s why you were crying every time he got hurt, you loved him, he was like your father.”

            “Right.”

            “How old was he?”

            “He was fifteen and I’m thirteen.”

            “So, now it’s just us three?”

            “I guess so.”

            As she kept crying I gave her a hug and the three of us kept walking, Osiris still with us at least.

            We walked farther the way we had came from the Sphinx.

            “There she is, the stone beast again.” Osiris said with shame.

            “He wouldn’t listen; I guess he chose what was best for him, now we may continue our journey.” Miranda said with a couple of snuffles in there.

            We walked and came up to the Sphinx, “You terrible beast,” I screamed to the stone rock. It was still smiling at me, “It’s too bad we don’t have any cell phone or service here.”

            “Well, we don’t have any service, but Cleopatra gave me a communicator which allows me to communicate with anyone in the world.” Miranda handed me the communicator. I looked at it, and then noticed it was getting dark, the day had past and we didn’t even know it.

            “We should go to bed now, it’s time.” Osiris said.

We set down and started to sleep, I said I would take the watch, so Miranda gave me the communicator and she lay down.

            Once I noticed that both of them were asleep I took out the communicator. I said, “Nevada, Mom” The things had a speaker and a microphone and I could hear my mom.

            “Hello?”

            “Hi mom, it’s me Brandon.”

            “Oh my gosh, Brandon, are you alright?”

            “I’m fine Mom, My one partner left us and my other one is still intact.” I said.

            “I’m sorry to hear that, what have you encountered?”

            “Sphinx, Mummies, Albatrosses, Osiris, Serqet, and Geshtinana.”

            “A famous stone, creepy people, a big bird, the poison goddess, and the wine goddess, and the king of Egypt, WOW!”

            “Osiris is traveling with us to find his family,” I said.

            “Neat.”

            “Well, I got to go, it’s my turn to sleep, night Love you!”              

            “Love you too!”

            The sound went blank, just in time to because Miranda woke up, she said she’d take the shift and I went to sleep.