Chapter Seven

Chapter 7: Miranda Faints

            We walked, like we had been doing for two days. If this had to be going for eight years, it would seem like twenty-seven. It was two days and we hadn’t even eaten. We walked until we noticed a small shop called Bread and Butter. We walked in and the little bell on top of the door rang.

            “Hi, welcome to Bread and Butter, booth or table?” A man with a long beard asked us.

            This place was nothing like an Egyptian resting area; it had a bar with football playing on the TV, a jukebox, and a restroom with an automatic fountain. “We’d like a booth,” I announced. He led us to a booth and we took our seats, we all looked at a menu and noticed all the drinks had the word blood on everything, Blood Pepsi, Blood Lemonade, and Home-blood Water. “Does anything have no blood with it?” I asked.

            “We have Dr. Pepper.”

            “I’ll have that,” we all announced in unison.

Later the man came out with four bottles of Dr. Pepper and a cup of soup. “Here are your four Dr. Peppers, and Miranda’s soup.”

            “I didn’t order soup.”

            “Yeah and how do you know her name?” Logan asked.

            “You must have brought it up, and the soup is our famous, just try it and tell me how it is.”

            He walked away and Miranda dipped her spoon in her soup. She slurped a little of the soup and nodded her head.

***

            As we finished our dinner, the man said it was on the house, so we left. Our stomachs were satisfied and we had a full burst of energy. Well, all except Miranda.   

            “Guys, I don’t feel so good.” Miranda said with a quiver to her voice.

            We sat down on a nearby bench and patted her on the back, “Probably just too much food,” Logan suggested. So when she felt better she got up and we started walking again.

            She obviously wasn’t feeling any better. We walked about five feet when she passed out right in front of Osiris.

            “She isn’t feeling good. What is making her feel so bad?”

            “Wait, that man in the restaurant knew Miranda’s name and we never brought it up.” Logan said.

            “She also didn’t order any soup, who was he?” I asked.

            “It must have been Serqet in guy form.” Osiris suggested.

            “Who?” Logan asked.

            “The Egyptian Goddess of Poison, she poisoned Miranda.”

            “That’s terrible, she’s probably working for Hatshepsut, trying to knock us down, hold us back.” I said.

            “She probably is, we have to wake Miranda up.” Logan said.

            We dragged Miranda to another near bench and went to the public fountain. We got a bucket of water (Which for one thing was not clean) and dumped it on her face. She choked and gagged but eventually found herself back in our hands. We told her what had happened. She knew all about the goddess Serqet and disliked her the most, but the one question that was unanswered was why Serqet was in boy form.

            “I certainly don’t care, all we know is she’s working with Hatshepsut.” Logan said with his I don’t care attitude again.

            “We must watch, keep a close eye on all those who are around us. We cannot let a minor ruler of old Egypt kill us all in one year.” Osiris said.

            “Eight!” I corrected him.

            “Let us wait.”

            “We should get to sleep, it’s getting late.” Miranda suggested.

            We set up and Logan was the first one to watch out.