Chapter 1: The Queen Bee

trigger warning: ed mention

Have you ever seen a girl so flawless, you thought your eyes were fooling you? A girl who's skin glowed from within, who's curls fell perfectly in place, who's eyes were so alluring, you felt hypnotized? A girl who, when she entered a room, soaked up all the attention, who's radiant smile made boys drool and glance filled girls with envy? A girl so perfect, so beautiful, that you couldn't help but stare in awe? Well, I am that girl.

To be exact, I'm one of them. And let me tell you, although your eyes aren't fooling you, they don't see everything. It might seem like it comes effortless to us, but truly, it does not. Sure, we are genetically blessed, but that isn't all. It takes hours of sitting in a make-up chair to get our locks looking shiny and luscious, and even longer to make our faces glowy, our eyelids shimmery, and cheekbones sun-kissed.

And I have yet to mention the endless hours spent on salon appointments, teeth whitening sessions, mani-pedis, eyelash extensions, facial treatments, spray tan booths, the cardio machine at the gym, and at last, in our walk-in closets wracking our brains over the perfect outfit. That was exactly what I was up to that one Sunday afternoon, going through my designer clothes, oblivious to what was to come; oblivious that my perfect, privileged, little world was about to crumble. 

I had no idea that my entire life, my entire high school, was about to change. Sometimes I wish I could go back and see things through my eyes again. So let me take you to the moment that it all began... the moment that changed everything. 

"Aspen, honey, what are you wearing tomorrow?"my mother popped her head into the closet, her full lips, that were painted a dark shade of red, scrunched together.

"I'm thinking this lace top with that one pink skater skirt you got me," I held up a hanger that displayed an Alice + Olivia shirt, "And the Manolo ankle straps." 

"What bag are you going to carry?" she inquired and raised her eyebrows, bemusedly. By the look in her eyes, it was almost like she was testing me.

"The birkin, of course," I replied with a proud grin and clutched the "A" necklace that was around my neck. 

A big smile appeared on Mom's face, "I've raised you well."

I whipped my ashy blonde hair behind my shoulders as I put the hanger back into it's place. I was glad my mother was proud of me. It was nice to have someone who actually understood what it meant to be Queen Bee. If you asked the student body at my high school, New Hopewell High,  to describe me, I bet you the words that would pop up most frequently would be: stunning, untouchable, and evil.

I was quite aware that majority of them, if not all, thought I was a bitch, but I didn't give a damn what they thought about me. They were a bunch of nobodies that would probably end up as housewives and accountants and never leave this god forsaken city of New Hopewell for the rest of their lives. A lion doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep, after all.