Chapter 6: Freshmen Guts

There is always a butterfly or two in your stomach when you know you might be in trouble

There is always a butterfly or two in your stomach when you know you might be in trouble. Regardless if you are innocent or you know you can get away with it, they are still there. This time, however, there was no such butterflies. The only thing I felt in my stomach was deep irritation.  

"Aspen Henderson, Riley Brown, Sophie Garreton, Tessa Johnson, and Ava Jones, please report to the vice principal's office."

I tapped my heel against the floor monotonously as the speakers went off and the class was filled with 'oohs'. I idly blinked my thick lashes, that were covered in brown Armani mascara, when I stood up and sauntered my way out of sight. 

I exhaled annoyance as I reached Principal Lockhart's office. My friends sat on a wooden bench, tensely waiting to be called in, while Ava stood alone, further down the corridor. 

"Stop biting your nails!" I exclaimed as Sophie anxiously chewed away at her no longer perfect manicure.

"Sorry, I'm just really nervous. I've never gotten in this much trouble before," she slid her hand back down, clenching the pockets of her Free People shorts. 

"I told you, you have nothing to worry about," Tessa let us know with all of her self-assuredness, filing her own red claws, "If Lockhart tries to suspend us or even give us detention, I'm calling my lawyer."

"Are you really sure about that, Tess?" Riley angrily took off the scrunchie on her wrist and gathered her thick hair into a high pony, "We don't want to make this out to be a bigger issue than it actually is. Imagine if it spread across town, it could turn into a huge media blowout. And guess who would be in the middle of it? You, because you were the one who laid your hands on her."

Tessa grunted, stuffing her nail file into her mini vintage Chloé shoulder bag. "Well, do you have any better ideas?" Tessa snapped with an inflamed look in her blue eyes. 

"Oh gosh, if we get suspended, I'm so not going to Amy's party tonight!" Sophie sighed and rested her arm on the side of the bench as I shook my head. "I can't handle this, I'm getting heartburn." 

I twisted my upper body to shoot Ava a look and pouted my full lips. "Give me a minute," I stormed towards the freshman, radiating indignation. "I'm ready to stomp some freshmen guts."

"I wasn't the one who told, if you are going to accuse me of being a tattle tail," Ava quickly said when she noticed I was coming her way.

"I didn't think you were," I stopped in front of her with my signature mean girl pose, hands on hips and narrowed eyes, "You seem like a smart girl. Smart enough to know your place in situations like these."

"And let me guess, your idea of that is me letting you walk all over me with your designer heels when we go in there?" Ava courageously let out a chuckle, "I don't think so."

Surprised by her unwillingness, I scoffed with a tight smile, "That's not a request."

"I don't really think you are in a position to demand anything from me, "she stated with a grin, her stare unwavering.