Prologue

It's Aspen Henderson

It's Aspen Henderson. Yes, the Aspen Henderson that's in the news. Can you believe that summer break is in full swing and they're still covering my fall from grace? The media attention has been overwhelming and non-stop since Prom. Once the story broke, reporters were camped outside my family's mansion for days. All of them trying to get a peek at the former Queen Bee of Hopewell High. 

The headlines have been outrageous. Queen of Mean: The twisted truth behind the girl who haunts high-school hallways in Jimmy Choo's. That one is my favourite. Thanks, NBC. Oh, and can you believe I managed to land a book deal? My AP Lit teacher, Mrs. Armstrong, should be very proud. Someone else was going to write the story, but when I was given this sparkly notebook, I knew that it had to be me. 

Back to the news coverage, I understand the curiosity. People want to know who is behind the perfect illusion, how such a beautiful girl could do such awful things, how she can be so cruel, heartless, mean-spirited and all that. People have used every unpleasant adjective in existence to describe me. And guess what, they're probably right. They have every reason to hate me. I can see this now, but I couldn't see it back then. 

I was blinded by the glitz and glamour of high-school popularity, by undeserved praise, and diamond tiaras. I still don't understand what was going through my mind when I did the things I did, which is why I'm writing it all down. Every single thing that happened. As if I'm reliving it. Maybe that will shed some much needed clarity. 

I know what you're thinking. Why would you even want to understand me? I'm that gorgeous girl that everyone envies, who's parents have money, and was given every privilege imaginable. It's much easier to hate me. It's much easier to admire me from afar or loathe me for what I've done. 

Everyone thinks they want to know the truth. But they don't. Because it isn't fabulous or glamorous or something you can romanticize. It's ugly. What you hear in the news, it's just a part of it. The victim's point of view. But it isn't everything, it isn't even an ounce of it. So much has happened, so many hearts have been broken, so many secrets hidden, and so many lies told.

 There are two sides to every story. This is mine. 

(WARNING:) This book includes: underage drinking, drug use, sexual content, and mental illness

Written by: Tevy Roberts.