Chapter 2: New Hopewell High

Legacies

Legacies. It's probably one of the most valued things in families, their legacy. Some families have businesses that their children will inherit, some a special talent they possess, and others might pass down a certain role in society. Well, my family? We had New Hopewell High School. Located in the coastal town of New Hopewell, South Carolina, the school held a near whopping two-thousand students. The campus, that was spread over forty acres, had beautiful buildings, fountains and patios, which I doubt they would have been able to built without the various generous donations from my family throughout the years.

My family's legacy at New Hopewell High began in 1935 with my great grandmother when she won Prom Queen. The following years, her two sisters also won the title and then her brother won Prom King after them. Nearly every year after that, the honorary kings and queens had the last name 'Henderson'. The status of my family quickly became known in New Hopewell. I think the whole Queen Bee concept started with my grandmother's older sister, although back then it was an unspoken thing. Growing up, I have heard stories about how she had everyone in that school wrapped around her finger and how she ruled with an iron first.

The Henderson's social standing at New Hopewell High was crystal clear to anyone who's ever been there. On the marble prom court shelves, there was picture after picture of my ancestors, along with my aunts, uncles, and cousins in silver-plated frames. We even had a handful of redbrick buildings that were named in our honour. 

Which is what I kept reminding myself one balmy Monday morning.

"I'm a Henderson," I told the image that was being reflected off the visor mirror, "Penelope Wellington has got nothing on me."

I leaned back on the leather seat of my Mercedes and slipped my sunglasses on. I rubbed my lips against one another, making sure my light pink gloss was evenly distributed. With a deep breath, I closed the sun visor and opened the car door. As soon as my Manolo's hit the school parking lot asphalt, all eyes were on me. Ignoring the stares as usual, I clambered out of my car with my Birkin and a small pile of books.

"Look, it's her!" I heard one of the freshmen whisper as I pushed open the glass door to the corridor. In your dreams, freshies. I dodged them, lifting my head even higher and breathing in the smell of my perfume. Chanel's no.5 never fails to let everyone know you've arrived.

As I passed the senior boys, their eyes were stuck to me like glue. A little smirk appeared on my face as they wiped the drool off their chins. Success, I thought. I gave myself a mental pat on the back for picking out such a hot outfit.

"Morning, girls," I began to approach my group of friends that were hanging by the locker, causing the students that were around them to flee upon my arrival.

"Good morning, Aspen," Tessa responded, flipping her brunette hair as she put her phone away to welcome me.

"Caffeine?" Riley handed me a disposable coffee cup before I could even answer, "Ugh, I know I need it. I hate not being able to sleep off a hangover."