2. A Day to Remember

       Something sunk the bed in; I heard it groan under the weight. I gave a guttural groan and turned over, pulling the pillow over my head. I felt the blanket slowly be ripped from me, I grabbed for it blindly.

            “Wake up, sleepyhead,” Gale crooned. I snorted through my nostrils. Really, again? I really wished Gale didn’t do this, because this was just asking for a beating from me. I would have been happier if Posy had tackled me.

            “Go away,” I mumbled.

            “Not until you get up.”

            “I want my blanket back.”

            “You’re not getting it back.”

            I poked my head out from under the pillow to peek at him. He hovered over me. I really felt the urge to swat him away, but instead I whacked him with a pillow. He shielded himself with his arms. I fought harder, smacking harder until I ended up sitting up, whacking him.

            Gale knocked the pillow from me onto the floor and had me pinned onto the bed, both hands grasped my wrists firmly, but strongly. This was not a good morning for me. I wriggled under him but got nowhere.

            I swore if it was early in the morning, I’d kill him.

            “That’s not fair,” I protested.

            “Life isn’t fair,” he retorted.

            “True. Can you let me up now?”

            “Will you hit me or try and go back to sleep if I do?”

            I sighed. “No.”

            “Good.” He released my wrists and clambered off me. I sat up, scratching the back of my head. “Are you ready to meet Katniss today?”

            “Not really,” I muttered.

            “You’re not still afraid of her, are you?” Gale teased.

            “That’s part of the reason.” I blushed. “I just feel like it’ll be awkward. Can’t you just bring her back here after hunting? I’ll feel more comfortable being here when I meet her.”

            “I thought this wasn’t up for negotiation?”

            “You never said it wasn’t,” I reminded him. “It’s better for me if I meet her here on my own territory, so to speak.”

            “We’ll figure something out,” he agreed. “If Katniss agrees to, which I’m sure she will, she’ll come here when we come back from hunting.”

            “How late are you staying this time?”

            “Probably until dark.”

            “Just hope the fence doesn’t come on, because if it does, you’re screwed.”

            “It won’t be on until the middle of the night, that’s when Peacekeepers think people will try and escape, because it’s dark out and hard for anybody to see.”

            “You better be right about that,” I said.

            Gale got his way, because immediately following breakfast; he dragged me outside with him. I guess I wasn’t going to get my way. I really preferred to meet Katniss at the house after she and Gale hunted, but Gale wanted me out of my comfort zone. Why else would he do this?