11. Too Close

**Song they dance to is on the right**

11. Too Close

"You aren't thinking about backing out now, are you?" Peeta asked me later that night.

We hadn't even gotten the chance to eat lunch after the paint war, because it took us forever into the evening hours just to wash ourselves to near cleanliness, clean up the basement (which took the longest), and clean up whatever spots of paint we happened to find in the house. Just for the record, I left a few drops, Peeta left the most.

Thankfully, we managed to eat dinner. Just like any other meal, we ate in silence, but we ate much more than we should have. But we didn't have lunch, so there was room for extra portions. My stomach was already used to the good feedings I had gotten for the past four days. It never growled like it always had to for most of its life. It was pretty satisfied for a few days, but sadly it couldn't stay that way much longer.

Peeta and I were in the living room, there was plenty of space for us to dance. He had managed to find a radio that we could listen to. Peeta managed to find a station that surprisingly had a lot of songs that we knew very well, some so slow that were nice to slow dance to.

That's what we would mainly be doing, slow dancing. I was fine with that, because I wanted dinner to stay inside me at all times.

"Nope, I'm full of dinner and energy," I piped. Peeta chuckled. I think he was becoming more amused with my peppiness. I still didn't know how he didn't take my normal behavior as strange for Katniss. I guess he believed the theory that Katniss had changed very deeply. How else would I still be here, protecting him from himself if he ever found out the truth about where Katniss really was?

"We'll take it nice and slow, okay?"

"Were we supposed to take it fast?"

"No."

"Well, this was your idea, so you take lead." I fidgeted. I couldn't help it, I felt like I was on a sugar high.

"Easy there, jitters," Peeta teased. One arm coiled around my waist. With a little nudge from his arm, there was a very tiny gap between our bodies. Our hands clasped each other's while my free arm took nest onto one of his shoulders. Thankfully for me I didn't have to stand on my tiptoes, Peeta wasn't that much taller than me. Thank God for short men. "Take this nice and easy."

"Right. Nice and easy," I murmured.

The song that came on was naturally slow, and coincidentally a duet. I didn't really know the song that well, but I could tell it was a romantic song. I listened to the lyrics intently, that's how I figured out what it was. The first part of the song was sung by a man.

Peeta was in control, slowly moving us in a circle. One step at a time, I thought. How could I possibly screw this up? It was a slow song, so slow dancing was a given.

"I can't believe this moment's come

It's so incredible that we're alone

There's so much to be said and done

It's impossible not to be overcome

Will you forgive me if I feel this way

'Cause we just met-tell me that's okay