15. "We're Not Out of This Yet."

15. “We’re Not Out of This Yet.”

            My mouth dropped. What the hell? Katniss used my name? She thought she could get away with playing as me?

Oh hell no.

            “No, my name is Katrina,” I said stubbornly.

            “Prove it,” Brutus demanded, his arms crossed over his chest.

            “Wash this dye out of my hair, my natural color is blonde. That’ll prove it.”

            “We don’t have time for something silly like that.”

            “Do you think I’m lying?”

            “One of you is.”

            “She is!” My voice echoed in the cell. “My name is Katrina Azaria! All my family died in the bombing of District Twelve, I’m the only one left! I had parents, Thayer Azaria and his wife, Diana Azaria. I had two younger siblings, Raven and Colton Azaria, they were twins!”

            Marcus looked at me, then at Katniss. I was having a hard time keeping my cool when Katniss had used my identity to fake hers. What did she hope to gain out of it? Not dying just yet?

            “Well, regardless of who you really are, you were caught outside the boundary fence,” Brutus said gruffly. His arms were folded. “The punishment can be most severe, like death. However, you can prevent that if you tell us who you are instead of pretending to be somebody else.”

            “I am not lying!” I roared. “You Peacekeepers don’t have an ounce of common sense!”

            “This one’s very outspoken,” Marcus mumbled. “That can change soon.”

            “W-what do you mean?” I lost my boldness. I was afraid of where Marcus was going with this.

            “If you come clean, your punishment won’t be as bad as you think. However, should you continue to refuse to give us your true identity, we will torture you until you squeak. You decide your fate, Ms. Everdeen. I suggest you choose wisely.”

            “Get out, please,” I moaned.

            “That’s the kindest thing you’ve said to us so far,” Brutus chuckled darkly. I shuddered. “Get used to this while you can, because your future won’t be like this.”

            Well, that gave me the possibility of two outcomes: I would either be dead or be dealt with in some other way.

 I felt a little better when Marcus and Brutus exited my cell, shutting the door behind them. I looked at Katniss, eyes smoldering with fury.

            “What did you hope to gain from that, using my name?” I snarled.

            “I figured they could let me free.” She shrugged.

            A light bulb went off in my head; it made so much sense now. There was a reason Peeta and Gale weren’t taken from the woods along with me.

            “I wasn’t captured just because I was on the other side of the boundary fence,” I said distantly. “You told them that you were a lookalike, that Katniss was still out roaming Twelve. That’s why they took only me, not Peeta and Gale, too. They were waiting for me…” I wheezed a little bit.