20. Returning to Some Normalcy

       All was peaceful in the bedroom. The sheets were so comfortable, the birds kept their chirping to a minimum outside, and I had Gale by my side. I was alert but too lazy to open my sleepy eyes to the new day. Today was my final day being in this white bedroom. Today, I’d be returning home to the Hawthorne house, where I was sure a welcome-home was unavoidable.

It had been roughly five days since we had escaped the Capitol’s prison. Things were starting to go back in the right direction. My injuries were slowly scarring, the stitches in my leg and side had been removed. Whatever hijacking Katniss had been subjected to was slowly making its way out of her system.

            I swear Gale hadn’t let me go all night. This was the third time in five days that Gale stayed overnight here with me. Katniss and Peeta had no problem with it, just so long as we didn’t do anything naughty. That was something to laugh at because neither of us had those intentions. It was a time for recovery, not sex.

            I threw my arm across his chest, letting it hang there. I slowly adjusted, burying my head into his neck. I felt him turn his head so his cheek rested on top of my head.

            “Peeta, I don’t think they’re up yet,” I heard Katniss from the other side of the closed door. “Let them sleep.”

            “Katniss, it’s almost noon. I’m sure they’re starving,” Peeta retorted. I never thought we were in bed for that long.

            “If you wake them up, they’ll yell at you. They hate it when you barge in on them like you’re about to do.”

            “Fine, I’ll peek in to see if they’re up.”

            I tried to keep a placid face as I heard the bedroom door creak open. I heard one footfall, so I assumed Peeta was looking in.

            “See?” Katniss whispered. She had to be at the door, too. “They’re still sleeping. Like I told you, they’ll get up when they want to.”

            “It’s so uncanny how you and her look so much alike,” Peeta murmured. “I would almost say that’s you there with him instead of Katrina.”

            “Very funny. Come on, Peeta, close the door and let them be.”

            “Actually, they can stay asleep. It can give us some time alone.”

            “Peeta—”

            “I’m only suggesting cuddling and some kissing, Katniss, nothing extreme like you think,” he groaned. The door clicked shut and their footsteps faded. I yawned and opened my eyes.

            “You heard them, too?” Gale whispered. He was up? I looked up at him and nodded. “Just think, by tonight, you’ll be back home with me.”

            “Can’t wait,” I mouthed. Gale grinned and kissed my forehead. Over the course I was stuck here as well, Gale had been practicing to read my lips. He was definitely getting better, because I was using the notepad less and less. “I want to try something.

            “Like what?”

            I propped myself up on one elbow. I had wanted to do this for quite some time, but I had been afraid to because I no longer had a tongue. I didn’t know why, but I just felt that this experience would feel much different without one.