18. Lucky Shot

18. Lucky Shot

       The last time Sabina had come had to be dinner, because I was brought no more food. Maybe it was nighttime, or maybe this was punishment for me trying to escape. My stomach roared at me, and I couldn’t stop it. The last food I was given had already been eaten. Now I just had to wait it out, ignoring my hungry stomach.

            I was so consumed by the guilt of having my own nurse killed because of me that I didn’t touch the notepad. I lightly banged my head against the metal wall as I sat on the bed. I stared at the door, through the window. All I could see was the back of a Peacekeeper. I wondered if Katniss had a guard outside her door, but I wasn’t about to ask her.

            I shut my eyes and tried to think of a happy place. Really, there was no happy place except one within my mind. For now, my happy place was back in District 12, with Gale’s family. I’d help Hazelle make breakfast, try to catch Rory and Vick from outside when they wouldn’t listen to me, be around Posy whenever she needed me. Posy reminded me so much of Raven, no wonder I was so fond of her compared to her two other brothers. Gale was in a league of his own.

            I wasn’t sure now what to think of him. I mean, he was my best friend until he shattered his trust with me. I still believed that all the affection he gave me was because he thought I was Katniss, whereas he knew that I wasn’t.

But now…I didn’t care how mad I was at Gale, I just wanted him here with me, to comfort me. All the times I had been in his arms, I always felt safe, like nothing bad could ever touch me unless they passed him.

            I never really thought about finding love considering the condition 12 was in, with people rebuilding and recuperating. The relationships I only had were family and friends, never a boyfriend. It had felt so good when Gale had kissed me; it was like a fire came alive inside of me. I wanted that feeling again, but if he still loved Katniss, I could never have that. And of course, I would have said I had felt that with Peeta too, but if I felt anything, it was a little spark.

A spark was nothing compared to a flame.

It was kind of obvious who I loved more. With Peeta, I considered him a friend, or like an older brother. With Gale, I loved him. I realized this in just a few days that what I felt for him was more than sibling love; it just took me forever to realize on what level I loved him.

If Gale didn’t choose me over Katniss, in a way, I’d be okay with it. If you love someone, you’re happy with the choices they make; you’re willing to let them go if they love someone else.

            Come break us out already, I thought. I don’t care if it’s been two days since I’ve come here, I can’t take it anymore. My stomach roared at me, and I smelled really bad, although I was sure Katniss was much worse. I couldn’t get her attention unless I banged on the glass wall that separated us, but I just didn’t have enough motivation to do so. She could only talk anyway; all I could do was write on the notepad to express my thoughts.

             I really wished there was some way—any way, really—that I could get my voice back. The idea sounded real impossible, but there’s a saying: that nothing is impossible. To me, things were impossible only if they hadn’t been attempted before. So maybe giving an Avox their voice back just wasn’t tested yet. Of course, I bet nobody saw reason to give an Avox their voice back if losing their tongue was a punishment.

            Movement from the door window caught my eye. The Peacekeeper who guarded my door traded posts with another. This Peacekeeper tried to peek in, I could see his glass visor over his eyes. Yet, unlike the other Peacekeepers’ visors, this one’s was tinted, so I couldn’t see his eyes. But I knew he was looking at me.