❈ xlr cables ❈

"Rae, did you even get the in-ear moniters on the boys yet?" Kyle, my manager yelled at me as I untied some xlr cables.

"No, not yet? I thought it was Drew's turn today?" I asked confused.

"Just be a sweetheart and do it would you? I'll get Matt on those cables," He continued in his rush. "Don't forget to test them as well once they're on stage."

"Don't worry, I know. Doors open for sound-check in like 40 minutes," I yelled back. Does he still think I'm an amateur?

I picked up the ear pieces for the individuals which had already been pre-synced for me, and that was great because it was one less job for me to do. 

I had to knock a couple of times before I could get a response, but I didn't get one so I just walked myself in, as you do.

It was chaos. They were messing around, but that wasn't much of a surprise anymore. By this time, the ear pieces had already gotten tangled, these things were worse than earphones I tell you.

"Come on boys," I yelled to grab their attention. Ashton was the most responsive and came to me first whilst throwing this football around.

Casually untangling them, I waited from them all to come and believe it or not, but trying to get them on the boys was the hardest part. I was no where near tall enough for them, especially Luke (I'm pretty sure that he was secretly a street light in costume).

Fortunately, the boys put them on by themselves upon seeing my struggle, there was a few sniggers about it but it didn't bother me. "Please get outside as soon as you can, we have 30 minutes!" I shouted, though I doubt they heard me because their stylists were all over them giving last minute checks before they got on the stage.

Quickly, I ran back to the desk and began checking that the sync previously done was right, which thankfully was. "Rae, you know that you're on lights duty this evening," Matt informed.

"But why, I swear I keep getting the jobs no-one else wants to do," I replied. 

"You only have to do it for the actual show, not the sound-check. Also, I could do with a coffee and you look like somebody who also needs one, so pretty please with a cherry on top could you do me that favour?" He asked.

"Fine, but you can you test the ear pieces. I could do with a break," I sighed and Matt smiled back whilst taking over my seat.

Matt was someone who was always friendly with me, but that was because we're of similar age. He's very good-looking but not my type, besides we're just friends. The halls were pretty hectic and a pain in the ass to get through but I made it out of the other side alive. I gathered all of the things I'd need for two cups and switched the kettle on. 

It was only me in the kitchen, until Ashton walked in scrolling through his phone, not even looking up.

"I'm sorry, do you need something?" I asked.

"What? No, it's just a little hectic outside," He replied.

"Tell me about it," I rolled my eyes.

"Do you mind if I just ring my girlfriend?" He asked. 

"No go for it! I'm nearly finished up here anyway," I smiled pouring the necessary amount of milk. 

"Are you new here?" He asked politely.

"I wouldn't say new, I would say newest. I've been working here for like a week or two,"I replied.

"Ah that's cool, what do you do?" He asked yet another question.

"I'm a runner, so I basically assist and do all the jobs that no-body else wants to do,"I said holding up the cups of coffee. 

"What's your name, I always see you around but I never caught it," He replied.

"Oh it's Rae," I pushed the door open with my hip.

"I'm Ashton."

"Dude, I know who you are," I smiled before walking out of the door.

Managing not to spill any of it along the way, I successfully made my way to the desk and placed one down next to Matt before taking a seat next to him. 

"Ashton's not here, but all the other's seem to be working apart from Calum's. Run up and change the wire for it will you?" He asked taking a sip.

"Well, I'm not called a runner for nothing!" I said as I literally ran back-stage with the wire in one hand. 

"Calum," I called out as he talked to Michael.

He shortly turned around and said,"My ear piece isn't working, fix it."

"Can you take it off then please, I need to change the wire."

He struggled a bit to try and get it off, so I offered to help but he rejected it. Harsh.

Once he had succeeded in dealing with it, he held it out for me to change. Quickly, I replaced the wire and put in the new one, as he continued his conversation with Michael. 

"It's all done, I'm guessing you're wanting to put it in yourself," I said.

"Too right," He replied. Why can't he be as nice as Ashton.

I ran back to the desk and began talking to Matt again, "My coffee is about to go cold."

"Maybe if you ran back here quicker-"

"Do I look like Usain Bolt to you?" I asked. 

"Damn, Calum didn't look too pleased with you," Matt replied noticing what had gone on, on the stage.

"Tell me about it, he was a little rude," I replied.

"You'd think after working here for a month he'd at-least know your name right?" He said.

"Ehh, they have loads of people they go through every day, I doubt they keep track of everybody's names," I said trying to be reasonable.

"Matt, it's working! Thanks bro," Calum said through the mic so that Matt could hear. He simply replied by putting up a thumbs up.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I laughed.

Sound-check was a breeze, I just sat on the desk with my cold coffee because I didn't want to get up to go and re-heat it. Jobs didn't really need doing, and it was the only non-hectic part of the day so far. However, the screaming girls were a little bit irritating though I was becoming used to it. I listened to the same set-list every day from the boys, and I guess you could say that I liked it. 

When it got to the actual show, that wasn't so much of a breeze. I spent most of it running between songs for the lights. I even had to climb up to get the ones on the top and focus them, and tighten the screws as well because some of them were loose. Did I mention I was a 5ft girl with a massive fear of heights. This was the worst possible situation.

It was one of the most tiring shows so far and I couldn't wait to get back to the hotel and take a nice long warm bath. Being pretty much the only girl on the team, I always got my own room so that was a perk. Especially because I love my alone time. 

After a much deserved warm bath and face timing my best friend, who I was missing loads, I turned on Netflix to watch some Teen Wolf. I was obsessed with that show. I'm pretty sure it was actually unhealthy.

There was a knock at my door which was unusual, so I grabbed the closest thing next to me that I could use as a weapon. There could well be a werewolf on the other side of that door for all you know. Okay, maybe watching so much teen wolf was sort of getting to me.

Slowly, I opened the door and held out my weapon.

"The heck," said a newly familiar voice from the other side.

"Calum?"