Chapter 7 ↣ Are you a part of this?

"The one who receives the most favors is the one who knows how to return them."

— Publilius Syrus

↣ ↢

Daryl

MY NERVES WERE highly strung as the group tried to formulate a plan back at the lab. So much so that I found myself pacing back and forth. I slammed on the brakes, though as I heard T-Dog say, "Are we willing to risk our lives for Kathryn? We don't even know her that well."

"She's a little rough around the edges, but I like Kathryn," Glenn said. After a second, he added, "As a-a friend, of course." I glanced over at him to see he was redder than a tomato.

"If we knew for certain that we would get Kathryn back—without any trouble—I might agree," T-Dog said. "Do you think that vato across the way is just gonna hand her over?"

"You calling G a liar?" the kid asked.

"Are you a part of this?" I growled, walking up to him. "You wanna hold onto your teeth?"

T-Dog took a breath and looked over at Rick. "Question is: do you trust that man's word?"

"No," I said before Rick had the chance to answer, "the question is: what would Kathryn be doing right now if it were you there and not her? I'll bet you anything she wouldn't even be having this conversation."

"She didn't hesitate to jump in front of me when one of those guys tried to take the bag from me," Glenn added.

"Proves my point even further."

We all turned to Rick. He hadn't said anything this whole pointless discussion. Rick stopped loading the rifle in his hands, and said, "Even though I don't know Kathryn, it seems apparent that she's an asset to the group. She also has earned my respect in the short time I've known her." He glanced around the room. "Y'all do whatever you want to do. I'm not leaving her behind."

"So you're just gonna hand the guns over?" I asked. As much as I wanted Kathryn out of there, I still thought we needed a better plan than that.

"I didn't say that," Rick replied. He then looked at Glenn and T-Dog. "If you two want to leave, go ahead back to camp."

"And tell your family what?" T-Dog replied without missing a beat.

Rick looked over at me, expecting an answer. I picked up one of the guns and started loading it. He took this as my answer. I met his gaze and gave him a nod which he returned.

"Come on this is nuts!" Miguel said, standing up. I took a step towards him and pointed to the ground. He sat down and muttered, "Just do like G says."

Not happening, amigo.

↣ ↢

We soon found ourselves standing in front of the familiar doors. They opened, and I shoved Miguel inside. Everyone followed in behind us. Looking around the room, I saw we were outnumbered, but not outgunned.

"I see my guns," G started, "but they're not all in the bag."

"That's because they're not yours. I thought I mentioned that," Rick said.

"Let's just shoot these fools right now, ese," the man who had taken Kathryn remarked. I trained my gun on him. If shit hit the fan, he'd be the first to go. "All right? Unload on their asses."

G looked back at Rick. "I don't think you fully appreciate the gravity of the situation...this place needs a woman's touch."

The grip on my gun became increasingly tighter, and it took every last thread of self restraint I had not to blow his brains out.