Chapter 51 ↣ What had she written that for?

"If you gave someone your heart and they died, did they take it with them? Did you spend the rest of forever with a hole inside you that couldn't be filled?"

— Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

↣ ↢

Daryl

WE GOT ABOUT twenty miles from the prison before the pit of my stomach had knotted so tightly I thought it was going to collapse in on itself. It was pulling me back to her, and I almost did it. I almost whipped around on this dirt road and went right back. I knew I couldn't though. There was far too much riding on this trip. To quench the feeling, I instead told Michonne, "Hey, open the glove box. Kath stashes random CD's in all the cars. Let's see if she's got anything good."

Michonne smiled at me, and popped the glove box open. "How's this?" she asked, holding up Led Zeppelin's album Physical Graffiti.

I gestured to the player. "Pop her in."

I heard the click of the case and then Michonne laugh. She peeled up a bright yellow sticky note form the CD and read, "Kathryn writes, 'All I want for you to do is take your alive bodies home'." She laughed again. "And alive is written in all caps."

Bob piped up from the back, "Wow, she quotes Zeppelin too? Is there anything she can't do?"

"Nope," I replied, and turned up the beginning chords of Custard Pie that bled through the speakers.

Kathryn

A gentle hand roused me from the darkness. I peeled my eyes open, and peered up at Hershel. "Oh no," I muttered. "It happened."

"I'm afraid so," Hershel said quietly. He helped me slowly sit up, and despite my snail's pace, my head still swam from the motion. He then pushed a mug into my hand. "Drink."

I brought the warm mug up to my lips. The tea was sweet as it first hit my tongue and left a tart sting in its wake. It seemed to clear some of the clutter from my throat. I squinted my eyes at Hershel. "If you've been a witch doctor this whole time, and you didn't tell me, I'll be pissed."

Hershel chuckled. "Keep that humor, Kathryn. This cell block could use it."

I looked out of my cell, and it was rather drab all about. Maybe I could find a way to let in more light. The thoughts soon melted away as my body fell into a fit of coughing. My breaths came in short raspy gasps in between. When it finally passed, I was left dizzy, and my ribs ached. "Why the fuck doesn't my body want to keep my organs inside it?"

"Viruses make our immune system do some strange things," Hershel replied. And I cringed when I realized that thought applied to the creation of walkers as well.

"Welcome to the thunderdome," a voice said.

I looked over to see Glenn standing in the doorway and replied, "I was so glad to receive my VIP pass in the mail." Glenn laughed and moved to sit next to me.

"So what's the plan, doc?" I asked Hershel.

"You two rest, and focus on recovery. I help in any way I can."

"We should be barricading the door for when Daryl gets back and realizes you're in here," Glenn muttered.

"Wait, how long was I out? Are they not here yet?"

Hershel placed a hand on my knee. "You've been asleep half a day. They're probably just reaching the school now. Don't use your energy worrying."

How could I not worry? Anything could happen between now and when he returned. "Hershel, I have a request. Could you grab a pen and paper when you get the chance?"