Chapter 16 ↣ How could that have happened?

"So we grew together like to a double cherry, seeming parted, but yet an union in partition, two lovely berries moulded on one stem."

— William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

↣ ↢

Daryl

I WOKE UP with a start. I then froze as it took me a second to remember where I was at. Relaxing slightly, I glanced over my shoulder to see Kathryn had her back to me. She was laying on her good side, curled up like a cat. She was so close I could feel the heat of her skin and her back gently brushing against mine with every breath she took. The shirt she was wearing hung loosely on her thin frame, revealing part of her back. My stomach twisted into a knot as I saw that the tip of a scar curled around her shoulder blade like a gnarled branch with thorns. I quickly sat up and looked away from her. I swallowed hard and tried to wipe the image from my mind. I also tried to forget the feeling of wanting to punch whoever had done that to her...repeatedly. 

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as I heard a sleep laced voice murmur, "What time is it?"

"Early," I replied. Looking back at her, I saw that she had sat up. "You're not going anywhere today," I added, thinking that's exactly what she'd plan on doing. 

"Like hell I'm not," she growled.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "You just got shot."

"So?" Only she would say that. Kathryn took a breath. "Listen. There's a little girl out there who needs every set of eyes looking for her. We are the two best trackers. She needs us both out there."

I was going to object again, but there was a knock at the door causing me to get up. Opening the door, a girl with blue eyes and blonde hair stood there. "Hi, I'm Beth," she said in a small voice. "Hershel's my dad. I brought breakfast for, um, Kathryn."

I sidestepped and let Beth inside. As she walked in, she stopped and stared wide-eyed at Kathryn. Kathryn shifted uncomfortably under the girl's stare.

Beth shook her head slightly. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to... You're just very pretty."

Kathryn smiled wryly. "I think you might need glasses."

"No, but you're nice for being humble. Nice to meet you, Kathryn." Beth set the food down and walked out the door. 

I glanced at Kathryn to see she was staring dumbfounded at the door. "You too?" she muttered.

I shook my head slightly and I then said, "Let's just see what Hershel thinks, m'kay?" 

Kathryn looked over at me and narrowed her eyes slightly. "Fine," she huffed. 

Slipping out of the room, I made my way down the stairs. I saw that Hershel was sitting at a dining room table, reading something. "Hey, doc," I said, approaching him. Hershel looked up from the book that I now realized was a Bible. "Would you go tell her that she needs to stay put for a day...or more?"

Hershel chuckled. "I gather she's a lot like you, and we both know how you reacted when I told you to stay put." 

I opened my mouth to respond, but I couldn't think of a logical argument. He was right. A scowl pulled at the corners of my lips.

He rose from his seat. "I'll try my best, but I can't promise anything. If you don't mind me asking, are you two together?"

My mouth went dry, and I quickly shook my head. "Nah," I replied, coughing a little, "she's just someone in the group." Why did people always think that?

Hershel nodded slowly. "Forgive me for assuming. It just isn't so often you see someone caring so much for someone they care so little for." He then walked past me and up the stairs.