15

"How is that possible?" I ask through my tears, my sister and I clinging onto each other while we sit across from dad.

"She called me. I'm dealing with it too," he says, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"S-She managed to get out? But we..." Lena starts, my heart stopping.

"There was a funeral. But her body...it wasn't recognizable. The body was in her office. I guess it was assumed," dad says, his hands running through his hair. He's so stressed, so tired.

"She agreed to come here at five this morning. I-I don't know what to say," he continues, my eyes closing.

"I-I don't know what to believe," I say, dad reaching for our hands.

"We have to wait. If she's alive, we'll see what this is," he says, my head nodding.

He closes the studio for the day, Lena and I sitting on the couch together. We hold onto each other and wait, the doorbell ringing.

We sit still, waiting for dad to answer the door. But as soon as it's open, there is nothing. No words are spoken, no door slamming. It's silent. I bravely get up and walk to the hall, seeing an embrace of what seems to be utter love for each other.

"Mom," I choke out, her blonde hair pulled back. My eyes watch as my father reluctantly lets go of her, her blue eyes misty. She covers her mouth, my feet walking closer.

"My beautiful Lennon Rose," she cries, grabbing my cheeks. Her fingers are warm and I hug her, not knowing how else to react.

The four of us are all emotional, hugging each other. We receive her explanation and the room is silent.

"I was called to go up to Madison, Wisconsin for the day for a meeting. When I came home, it was a mess. No one was home and I saw the paper, saying I had died. I-I knew if I were to come home, it'd be scary. So I waited until now, to give peace. But forgive me. Please," she says, my head nodding. My father hasn't moved his arms from around her. He's never been with another woman. He claimed her couldn't because he loves my mother too much.

"Always," he tells her, her hands grabbing his forearm from around her chest and leaning into him. He sets a kiss to her temple and I smile, loving the sight.

We spend all day sitting at the table just talking. It's everything I've ever hoped for. Dad orders dinner and makes sure she stays in this house. He refuses to let her leave and she couldn't be more delighted.

"Now, are you still with the same guy?" she asks Lena, her head nodding.

"We're getting married next week, mom," Lena smile, mom absolutely happy. They talk about wedding plans and I pull my phone out of my pocket, my fingers scrolling through the abundance of messages from Harry. He's worried and I text him to say I'm okay. I get a response asking me to call him and I excuse myself, walking up to my old room.

"I've been sitting in my house worried as hell, angel. What's got you upset? Are you okay?" he asks, my body sitting down.

"I'm okay. I'm more or less...shocked," I say, my hand brushing my hair back.

"I want you to come home. Please," he says, my eyebrows lifting.

"Home?" I slightly smile, his throat clearing on the other end. It makes me laugh and I can just imagine him running his hand through his hair.

"I meant to my house. Can I pick you up?" he asks, my lips curving.

"I need to stay here for a while. It might be late when I call you," I say.

"Don't care. I want you here with me," he says, making my heart race.

"I'll call you. Don't worry."