Chapter 2: Unexpected Song Choices

EarlierKota    

Victor's eyes focused on something behind me. They burned with a fire I rarely saw. Was it because he was excited about our upcoming swim? Either way, he needed to focus. There was only a few more solos before we swam our team. 

I motioned for everyone's attention. Mr. Blackbourne had noticed the judges were scoring well for tight patterns, so I had a few last-minute reminders. "After the first lift, Silas hang back a little," I said. "Victor, keep an eye on Nathan after the spin hybrid. You tend to move too far forward. Gabe, don't forget to travel faster in the fourth lap."

There was a round of acknowledgements from everyone. Mr. Blackbourne and Dr. Green didn't actually swim on the team, but since they were our coaches, they still listened to everything I said. The corrections were really just a formality anyway since we had been practicing our routine all year. 

We'd been swimming together ever since we first joined the Academy. At first we resisted, thinking the sport was too girly. North and Nathan in particular had issues accepting synchro as a legitimate sport. However, the Academy thought it would be a good team bonding exercise for us, and offered a significant favor bonus if we did it for one year. So, we formed our own team—the Charleston Synchro Sharks—and got to work. Once we started, we were hooked and wouldn't think of quitting. 

"Only two more solos," Luke said, drawing me from my thoughts. He bounced up and down. It was cold on the pool deck. 

North grunted. "I can't believe we got first draw. There's no way the computer's 'random'. We always get first."

"We've only gone first one other time this year," Victor pointed out. "Plus, there was only one other 16-17 team at that meet. We had a fifty/fifty chance of going first."

As the second to last solo started, my attention was drawn away from their squabble by the last soloist standing by the ref. Something about her drew me in until I couldn't focus on anything else. 

"Mr. Lee, is everything all right?" I vaguely registered Mr. Blackbourne asking. His keen gray eyes narrowed at me.

I was too caught up in the girl to respond. Light seemed to swirl around her, reflecting off the crystals on her shiny suit. Her blonde hair was slicked up into a perfect bun. Although she was turned away from me, I could tell she was beautiful.

"Who's that? I don't recognize her," Gabriel said. His fingers curled and uncurled by his sides. He muttered something I couldn't hear under his breath, but I'd bet it was some sort of curse.

His words directed everybody else's attention to the girl. I fought the urge to distract them and make them look away. For some inexplicable reason, I wanted to keep her my secret. "I've seen her before at meets, I think," Nathan said. He crossed his arms in front of him. Had she been at meets before and I just missed her? How did Nathan recognize her?

Get ahold of yourself Kota! You're not the possessive caveman type. I need a distraction!  I tried counting, but I kept on returning to ten. 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. 30, 25, 20, 15, 10. 40, 30, 20, 10. I have got to stop.

"Eísai ómorfi," Silas breathed out. I had no idea what he said, but given the context, it wasn't hard to guess. North nodded his head in agreement beside me, his face a shade paler than normal.

The girl turned to look around one more time before she walked out. My breath hitched in my throat. Her haunted green eyes passed over our group without really registering anything. Fear and determination swirled together in them, drawing me in, capturing my heart. My hands pressed into my sides. Why was she afraid?

"Is that her coach?" Dr. Green asked, gesturing to a woman standing a little ways off. God, I sure hoped not. The woman had mean, petty eyes that burned into the poor girl with a level of anger I had rarely seen before in public. While the girl was the embodiment of light, the woman was covered in darkness. 

"I don't like how she's looking at the swimmer," Mr. Blackbourne said. A few of the other guys murmured their agreement. I turned to him, surprised by his admission. We were on a break from the Academy. We couldn't get involved with everything. He fixed the knot  on his maroon tie, and that's when I knew he was serious. He was nervous about all this. 

Despite the woman's awful glare, the girl walked confidently onto the deck. Her smile as she hit her deck pose was stunning. It gave no sign as to the emotional turmoil I had seen inside her only a minute earlier. Something stirred in me, making my heart speed up. I had to focus. We were swimming next. 

Dr. Green shifted beside me. "She's going to be the future Mrs. Green," he whispered. Mr. Blackbourne gave an exasperated sigh at his foolishness, but some of my other brothers looked like they were ready to punch the good doctor. Worry pulsed through me. We didn't even know this girl's name, and already we were almost fighting over her. Mr. Blackbourne sent me a loaded glance. He'd noticed the same pattern I had. 

As the music began playing its dark tones, my eyes widened. I would recognize this song anywhere, and a quick glance at my brothers confirmed that they know it too. As a unit, we all turned toward the composer and performer of the haunting melody:

Victor.