Chapter 36: Mr. Blackbourne's Explanation

Mr. Blackbourne 

Where did we go wrong? We were so careful on this mission to keep it low danger, low risk, but still we were discovered. By our own swimmer, no less. I saw how frightened she looked when she told Sean and I about Mr. Taylor- the trust we had been building is now gone. All because of one careless moment. I don't blame anyone on our team; I'll question them later but it seems like Miss Sorenson's discovery was pure chance. The only person culpable is me. I'm the one who accepted the mission, who told Mr. Taylor to steal the files, who didn't keep a close enough eye on our newest swimmer. If Miss Sorenson reports her discovery to the authorities, it will be my fault.

A piercing honk causes me to focus back on the road. I cringe when I realize I almost t-boned a car in an intersection. "Jesus Owen, if you're not going to pay attention to the road then pull over and let me drive!" Sean grumbles.

"No, I'm fine." I say. Even I can hear the cold quality to my voice. Sean looks at me, but doesn't say anything further.

What will we tell Miss Sorenson? I don't want to make her leave and return to Illinois- not only is she a great addition to our team, but I believe that over the course of the past week she has developed friendships with the boys. They would be devastated if we lost our little bird. Would they be the only ones? I sneak a glance at Sean, who seems thoughtful.

"We should tell Sang the truth." he says. My grip on the steering wheel tightens.

"About the Academy?" I question.

"About everything." he states firmly. What a novel idea- transparency is not a concept I normally associate with the Academy.

I think back to everything we've told Miss Sorenson. The whole 'camp', the clinic, even the punishment hours- all of it was cloaked in lies. "She might hate us." I murmur. I'm well aware of how cultish the Academy can look from the outside.

Sean sighs. "That's her decision to make. I think she deserves to know the truth behind this whole charade." he says. My regard for my friend raises a notch- his ethical awareness is always spot on.

Miss Sorenson seems like a rational young woman who will hear us out before jumping to rash conclusions. Maybe the first step to regaining her trust is demonstrating that we trust her ourselves. "Okay Sean," I concede, "Send out a text to the others informing them of the plan."

It is not in my nature to trust others. It is not in my nature, but I can change. And if change is what is necessary to keep Miss Sorenson with us, then I will not hesitate in pushing my discomfort aside and trusting her with my world.

Sang

"Sang, it's time to go." Kota says. I moan but don't open my eyes- I'm far too comfortable to move.

"Saaaang!" Gabriel sings. Why won't they leave me in peace?

"Go away! I'm sleeping." I mutter playfully. There's silence for the next moment or so and I begin to drift back asleep.

"Miss Sorenson, you need to get up." Mr. Blackbourne orders. I bolt straight up, eyes popping open in surprise. What's he doing here? He came back in the other car with Sean.

I quickly take in my surroundings, noting the lack of other people in the car and the darkness that surrounds it. The boys all crowd around the door. Mr. Blackbourne stands in front of them, looking even more serious than usual.

The day's events come rushing back to me. For a few blissful hours, I had forgotten my internal chaos. I flash back to Luke sticking the flash drive into the computer. He had better have a really good reason for stealing, I think darkly.