Chapter 16: An Unexpected Mission

Earlier- Mr. Blackbourne

"I have a meeting with some... colleagues in an hour."

I survey the room, trying to observe every detail of my surroundings before the others arrive. Three chairs- one for me, and one for each of the Academy officials I'm meeting, Jonathan and Adrian. One table, notable for the fact that it isn't covered in construction debris like the rest of the room. The Academy prefers to meet in locations that keep meetings private, hence the unfinished building, but never one to assume I swept the room for bugs upon arrival and placed a device on the table that will disable any listening devices and the recording abilities on phones.

A glance at my watch tells me that Jonathan and Adrian have exactly one minute and forty-five seconds to show up before they are late. Already annoyed that we are meeting in the first place since my team is supposed to be on break, my mood falls a step closer to icy. I look around one more time, confirming that nothing has moved since I checked a minute ago. The chair calls to my tired legs, but I force myself to remain standing until the others show up.

At eleven on the dot the two men walk into the room. Jonathan has a lively complexion with friendly brown eyes and unruly dark hair. His open demeanor is enhanced by his informal attire and welcoming smile. Adrian contrasts sharply with his partner, sporting pale blonde hair, eyes that resemble diamonds, and an intimidating black suit which makes his skin look almost transparent. My steel eyes seek out his diamond ones and a silent understanding passes between us that this is no time for joking, despite what Jonathan's grin suggests.

Adrian gestures to the waiting chairs. "Please take a seat, Owen." he says. I repress a shudder at the use of my first name, but the Academy is built on trust and the use of formalities between teams is discouraged. I sit down, maintaining perfect posture in the process, and I notice that Adrian does the same. Jonathan simply pulls out his chair and plops down unceremoniously. A file is placed on the table before me and I resist the urge to look at it until the pair okays it. Adrian notes my restraint with an approving nod, while Jonathan shakes his head in exasperation at my formality. I can't help but wonder how the two fit in to their team dynamic together when they are so different.

"Thanks for meeting with us Owen, I know that your team is on break so this must come as a surprise." Adrian begins. I acknowledge his statement with a nod, carefully hiding my thoughts from the two men. "I'm Adrian, and this is one of my team members, Jonathan." Again I nod, but this is not new information for me as I did a complete background check on the men as soon as their request for a meeting came in.

"You can call me Jon. How's it going?" Jonathan asks. Silently, I curse the social norm of small talk.

"I'm fine," I tell him briefly, never one to give up more information than necessary. "If you don't mind, I have other tasks that require my attention, so I would like to get the meeting started in earnest." Jonathan looks a bit put off by my rebuff of his conversation attempts, but Adrian seems amicable to this and I realize just how similar our mannerisms are.

Gesturing for me to open the file labeled 'Owen Blackbourne, care of Adrian Falk and Jonathan Blythe', Adrian begins his explanation. "My team has been investigating a massive cheating ring among sophomore and junior boys at Tenor High School in Greensboro, North Carolina as a favor to another team. However, we have reached a road block with the school and our team has been cut off from our resources there. Because of that, we decided to circumvent the school and investigate some of the students involved directly. This is where your team would come in."

I stop my perusal of the file to look at Adrian. "How did you get approval for this mission? My team is supposed to be on break." I say with a bit of hostility.

He has the decency to look apologetic. "Due to the nature of the mission, your team is the only one that is qualified. The Academy board decided that with upcoming finals and the sheer scope of the cheating ring, the urgency of the mission is grounds to temporarily make your team active again for this mission only. Of course, we would generously compensate your team and the Academy offered to give a few additional favors for bothering you guys on break." Adrian points to the favor amount in the file and my eyes widen at the number.

"Why does this mission require such a large favor reward?" I ask, not trusting that it wouldn't be crazy dangerous or some other reason that would lead to me declining the mission.

Jonathan finally speaks up, "It's not dangerous or anything. There are so many favors involved because of the short notice and the fact that your team is on break, not for any sinister reason." I feel marginally reassured, and gesture for them to continue their briefing.

"The leader of the cheating ring is a sophomore named Nikolas Raptis. His family moved from Greece at the start of middle school, so we figure that Silas can talk with him. Nikolas has a twin sister named Anastasia, who goes by Tasia. Tasia is on the local synchro team, so we want your team to offer a clinic this weekend to their team and use that as an in to investigate Nikolas. Preferably, you would get invited to his house for a sleepover or something and could dig around a bit. This mission is recon only- once you obtain proof that he is cheating we can shut the whole ring down. Any questions?" Adrian asks.

I consider his proposal. We don't need the favors after our last job, but it can't hurt to stock up, especially considering that this is a straight forward job that will only take one weekend. Besides, I have been wanting some training exercises for the boys, so this will do nicely to keep their skills sharp. I mentally grin as I think of the boy's reactions when I tell them that we are taking a road trip this weekend.

"No, I think I've pretty much got it. I'll look over the information more closely later and if I think of anything I'll text you." I tell him. A sudden thought occurs to me, and I can't believe that I almost forgot about Ms. Sorenson. "We currently have a bird swimming with us for a camp. Will it be okay if she came along?"

Adrian and Jonathan look at each other and shrug. "Sure, I don't see why not. This is basically a zero danger mission, so it'll be fine if you bring along non-Academy members. If anything, she might help get in invitation to Nikolas's house if she becomes friends with Tasia. Just remember, don't tell her about the Academy, and if by some astronomical chance things go south, get her out!" Adrian admonishes me. I bristle at his implication that my team can't look after one little girl without breaking Academy rules, but I keep my voice neutral as I thank him for the mission before gathering my things and leaving.

Once I'm back at the house I type up an instruction sheet and send it to the rest of the team. We'll have a meeting before the weekend, but I want the information out before practice and we can't meet in the meantime. My plan is to tell Ms. Sorenson at practice that we're teaching a clinic to another team. The boys are all stoked for the opportunity and excited for the mission, so I hope that she'll feel the same. If she learns the trial routine today, practices it tomorrow, and swims it on Thursday, then we'll know if she made the team or not before the clinic. Friday Ms. Sorenson has her physical at noon, so after that we can drive up to Greensboro and get settled in at a hotel. Saturday we'll help Tasia's team, hopefully secure an invitation to her house, and have dinner or sleepover Saturday night. Sunday morning we'll work with the team some more before driving home and resting up for swim practice on Monday. What a busy week!