Chapter 42: The National Team

Sang

As we walk into the pool area for the evening Saturday practice, I'm surprised to see an older lady standing off to the side. She's not getting ready to swim or anything, she's just... watching us. Once we get closer, my heart starts pounding as I realize who she is- Michelle Sterling, the head coach for the US national team. I've seen videos of her screaming at swimmers over minor issues, and she's just as intimidating looking in real life. Why's she here?

The boys are joking around and don't notice her. Even Mr. Blackbourne and Sean miss her, splitting off from the group to get the sound equipment. I don't want to talk to her, but it seems rude to ignore her when she's most likely here to see us, so I roll back my shoulders and lift my chin. It's time to be the co-captain.

Coach Sterling stares at me as I approach her. "Hello Coach Sterling, my name is-"

"Sang Sorenson," she interrupts, "Ranked number three in the country for the 16-17 age group. Thirtieth in the world."

Her cold summary of my synchro credentials destroys the confidence I just worked up. "Um, yes, and as the co-captain of the Charleston Synchro Sharks, I would like to welcome you to our pool," I say. My mind buzzes with questions- why does she know who I am? How did she find out our practice times? Why is she here?

"Where are your coaches?" she asks in an annoyed voice. I flinch. It was a normal enough question, but her tone was just so rude.

"They're getting the sound system set up," I explain. I point her towards them and watch as she walks over. Even her stride is powerful.

The boys aren't joking anymore when I come back. "Is that who I think it is?" Kota asks with a serious expression. I nod. He grimaces, looking distressed.

"She's probably here to recruit you for the junior national team," he mutters. I reel back at his words- she wants me for the national team? I'm not even number one!

"Maybe she's looking at team," Silas reasons. That seems more likely to me. With nationals coming up, she might be handicapping teams. Why, I don't know, but as the coach of the national team she would have practically unlimited access to all the teams.

The only problem with Silas's theory is that she knew me by name. I've seen her at meets before and she's even judged my solo a few times, but it's highly irregular for a high up official to know an individual swimmer.

My musing is cut short when Mr. Blackbourne, Sean, and Coach Sterling walk up to us. All three of them are deadly serious. Mr. Blackbourne walks slightly behind the other two, which is odd for him. I focus on his lips and realize that he's trying to say something.

"Do you want to make the national team?" he mouths. I give a miniscule shake of my head. As much as I love synchro, I don't want to do it professionally and the pressure of competing against other countries would be too much. A ghost of a smile graces his features. "Sandbag," he mouths.

I stare at him, certain that I misunderstood. After he repeats the same thing three times, I'm convinced that he is actually mouthing sandbag. How is a sandbag going to help us?

Coach Sterling claps her hands once to get our attention. "Swimmers," she begins, "I'm starting a talent search across the country. I'm stopping at the top twenty teams to rank them before nationals and look for possible national team swimmers. Today I'd like to watch your team and Sang's solo."

When she mentions my solo, I know that Kota's right. She wants to recruit me, but why not any of the others? They're all exceptional swimmers. Maybe she does, but since they don't have small routines she'll have to watch them in the team swim through? Who knows what's going through her head right now.