Chapter 29: Learning Synchro

This one has a lot of synchro jargon, so don't hesitate to ask if you have questions! Above is a diagram of someone doing support scull, which is used to suspend yourself upside down.

Also, I can't believe that it has been thirty parts already... it feels like just yesterday that this story was merely a figment of my imagination.

Kota

"Let's start with support scull. Back to the basics!" Raven says cheerfully. Mentally, I groan- I've spent years perfecting my scull for how I swim and I don't want some know-it-all Russian messing me up. Come on Kota, you're the leader! It wouldn't set a very good example if you refused to do a basic exercise...

To allow Raven to focus more closely on each individual, we decide to pair up and go two at a time. Naturally, Sang and I go together. I think that one of my brothers would kill me if I left Sang's side for even a moment. Sang and I are getting ready to start when Grace suddenly pushes off the wall, dragging Jenna with her.

"We'll go first!" she cries out. Well, if she wants to go that badly then I certainly won't stop her. The twins scull up into a vertical position at the same time, but after they hit it their success varies wildly. Jenna holds her height steadily at around mid-knee, which is respectable for how old she is, but Grace twists sideways and leans heavily on her face. Raven hums as he analyzes their positions.

When Jenna pops up, she has a smug look on her face, while Grace looks mortified to have done so poorly in front of Raven. Both look towards him for corrections.

"Jenna, your vertical was stable, but you can get higher. You're sculling at a pace that is easy for you to maintain, which will never allow you to improve. Try it again, but this time scull faster and widen your arms a bit." he says. Jenna looks disappointed that she wasn't given unconditional praise, but nods with determination and goes underwater to try again.

Grace churns the water around her into a field of bubbles as she waits for her corrections. "Grace, I know that you think that was horrible, but it had a lot of promise. Your scull was excellent; your body position was the only thing messing you up. Be sure not to tuck your chin and to push your butt through in your vertical." Raven says with a kind smile. I stare at him in shock- his gentle corrections are such a change from his normal surly demeanor. Raven catches me staring at him and gives me a death glare when none of the swimmers are watching. Guess he used up his patience on Grace and Jenna!

The twins try their verticals a few more times before we switch. Both have improved a bit after Raven has helped them. Sang looks incredibly nervous to have Raven watch her swim, but I know that if she swims like she does at practice then she'll be just fine. Taking a deep breath, I go underwater and scull into my vertical. After holding it for eight counts, I sink back down and back tuck somersault out of it. There's no way that Raven could find any problems with that. I was stable, had mid-thigh height, and didn't travel.

"Kota!" Raven barks as soon as I come up, "You're sculling completely wrong." I stare at him in shock. There's absolutely no way that I'm sculling wrong! Nobody has said anything before, and anyways I'm an excellent swimmer.

"Once Sang comes up, watch her scull and try to mimic it." he continues. I grind my teeth as I try to keep from yelling Raven. Mr. Blackbourne would definitely give me hours if I did!

I glance back and see Sang still holding her vertical. How long has it been? At least thirty seconds, which is insanely hard to do. Not only has she been going for a long time, but her height has stayed consistently at her upper-thigh. When Sang finally comes up, she isn't even breathing hard. Grace and Jenna both gawk at her, and I find myself wanting to join them.