Chapter 38: Being Rescued by Mr. Blackbourne

Sang

There's not much point in showering since we have to swim again in less than two hours, so instead we gather in the living room. Mr. Blackbourne and Sean went somewhere else- probably their rooms- so it's just the boys and me.

North goes into the kitchen for a moment and comes back with cold bottles of water. "Drink this- it's important to stay hydrated," he says as he hands one to me. I hadn't realized how thirsty I was until he mentioned water, so I down half the bottle in one go. The others do the same. When I'm swimming, it's easy to forget to drink since I can't feel myself sweating and the pool water feels refreshing.

"What should we do? We'll need to eat something for dinner, so there really isn't that much time." Kota says. Since Mr. Blackbourne banned synchro-related activities, that leaves questioning the boys for my plan.

"I still have the questions about the Academy," I begin. The others look to Kota, who gives them a small nod.

I tuck my feet underneath me to get more comfortable- this could take awhile. "What's the hierarchy like? Sometimes it seems like Mr. Blackbourne's the leader and other times seems like it's Kota or Sean," I ask. Kota chuckles.

"That's very astute of you to pick up on that," he compliments me, "Mr. Blackbourne is the official leader of our group- he interacts with other Academy teams in creating and assigning missions. In other words, he's our liaison. Dr. Green is kind of like his partner- they share many of the responsibilities associated with being the liaison. For our team, they're also our coaches since they're too old to swim age group. I'm the team lead; I basically keep track of who's doing what on our team. I'm also the team captain for the Synchro Sharks, so that's why I decide warmups at practice and other things. Does that make sense?"

I nod, processing this information. Having a triangle of authority provides a solid support system for the team. If anyone were to have a problem, three different people would be available to help them. "What about the rest of you? Do you have any official role in the Academy?" I ask.

This time, Victor replies. "We don't have an assigned role, but we all help each other," he says, "It's really more of a formality to have defined leaders. We're a family and we act as such." His eyes smolder as he looks at me. I can't tell if he's annoyed at my line of questioning or pleased that I'm curious. Hopefully it's the latter.

From talking with other swimmers at meets, I know that most teams have a team captain and a co-captain. It helps relieve the burden of the captain's duties, and if the captain happens to be gone or is working on a small routine then the co-captain can keep the swimmers in line for them. Kota mentioned that he was the captain, but said nothing as to a partner. "Do you guys have a co-captain?" I ask. Heads shake around me.

"We've always had a captain, but I've never thought of a co-captain," Kota says. It seems logical to me to have two captains- after all, we have two coaches.

"We should vote on one," I blurt out before really processing my statement. I blush as the group looks at me. Where did this confident version of me come from? I think having a co-captain is a good idea- that it would improve the team- but normally I'm too shy to voice an opinion, let alone a suggestion.

The boys do that silent communication thing that I still haven't fully figured out. "That's a great idea, Sang," Kota praises me. Silas walks away and comes back in a moment with eight sheets of paper and some pens.

"Everybody will get one vote for who they want as co-captain. Write it down on the piece of paper, and then we'll get Mr. Blackbourne to tally it for us," Kota explains.

I stare at my piece of paper. Who should I vote for? "Keep in mind that the co-captain would have authority at practice and should be able to express their own ideas. It couldn't hurt for this team to get some new methods," Kota adds. His gaze falls on me as he says the last part.