9 | Planning Destruction

Mara stared at the ceiling above her as she laid in the small built in bed on the new ship they had transferred to. It was barely morning on Tatooine, and she hadn't slept.

Luke was just beneath her fast asleep, and she knew she couldn't disturb him. After a long fight with the Empire, the group deserved the rest.

If only she could rest. Mara constantly though about old Ben, it being two weeks after the death of her fatherly figure.

She quietly slid out of her bed, and pulled on her over robe. She walked throughout the silent ship, looking for water.

She gasped as she looked to see Luke standing in the walk way, and he held his hands up.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." He said to her.
"I guess the Empire rubbed off on me." She said. "I've jumped out of my skin a lot lately."
Luke smiled. "I've noticed, I just didn't want to mention it."
The two laughed as they leaned against the small counter behind them.

Mara looked down at the ground as silent rushed over them. "I do miss him."
"I always wondered why he stayed here on Tatooine all of those years; watching over me. I always considered him a Hermit for sticking around and doing nothing." Luke explained to her.

"He never told me about your father." Mara said to him. "But he always told me about you."
Luke cocked a brow. "Like what?"
She hummed. "Well, he told me before that you hated sand, that it was just like your father."
"It's rough and irritating." Luke defended himself, causing himself to laugh.

"He also could feel how strong the Force is in you." Mara whispered. "He could feel it."
Luke didn't say anything as their faces grew only inches apart.
"And I can feel it." Mara told him.

Luke had blinked his eyes closed as their noses brushed, only to stop when C-3PO rushed into the room.

"Master Luke, Princess Leia is requesting your presence."
Mara stepped back awkwardly, and Luke cleared his throat. "I'll be there in a second."
He turned back to Mara, and sent her a kind smile before following the droid.

***

Luke stepped into the Pilot room; where Leia and Han sat. "This better be important."
"It is, Kid." Han huffed. "Or so Princess here says."
Leia ignored Han's choose of words and looked up at Luke. "As soon as we fix the Falcon, we're going to the planet, Yavin."
"What for?" He asked.
"Go ahead, your Worship. Tell him your bizarre plan!" Han yelled, suddenly bewildered.

Leia glared at Han before looking back at Luke once again. "The pilots have confirmed their plan on destroying the Death Star; which you will be involved."
Luke's eyes widened. "Destroy the Death Star!? That's like asking for death!"
"I told you!" Han mumbled.

"You will take pilot lessons before they head in. You'll do great, Luke." Leia promised the now apprehensive boy. "The Pilot's team is great."

"You act like this isn't life or death, Leia." Luke argued. "This is too much of a risk; for all of us."
"It has to be done." She told him, her tone becoming more strict. "The Death Star cannot stand any longer."

Luke rubbed his eyes tiredly, sighing. "Fine."

***

Luke walked towards his bed, seeing Mara laying in hers. Her eyes were focused on a small object in her hand, what looked like a charm.

"It was my parents." She answered, knowing Luke was about to ask her. "My mother gave it to me, apparently. It's what Ben said."

"It must be hard; not being able to remember them." Luke said.
"I can only remember feelings.." She said. "They weren't always good feelings. I could sense fear, anger, hate."
Luke looked at the beautiful girl before him. "I'm positive that they loved you."

"If only I could remember, I'd tell you if they did."

Luke sighed as he sat down in a chair across from the beds. "I have to leave soon."

Mara shot up. "What?"
"Leia has put me into the Pilot group that is going to destroy the Death Star." He replied. "And I have no choice but to help them."

"You'll get killed!" Mara shouted as she jumped up from her bed. Tears threatened to spill in her eyes as she stared at Luke.

"I have no choice." Luke told her. "I have to help them."

Mara shook her head as she squeezed her eyes shut; as if it were a nightmare. "Luke, if I lose you, I-I -"
"Sh, Mara." He whispered, wrapping his arms around her tightly. She calmed down at his touch, immediately wrapping her arms around him.

"You won't lose me." He said to her. "I promise."

It's so beautiful here today :)

Please continue to vote!