Chapter One

The world was ending!

That was the only explanation for the day from hell that Kaycee Samuels seemed to be having.

It had all started this morning when instead of the romantic proposal over breakfast that she had been expecting, her boyfriend Rob had dumped her and then left her to pay the bill.

Expecting her stepsister to be sympathetic to her first breakup Kaycee had driven straight over to her father's house barely able to hold it together. But she had managed right up until now when her stepsister had brought her world crashing down around her ears.

"Could you please repeat that?" Kaycee asked unable to believe that she was hearing right.

"I said I'm getting married!" Sarah told her excitedly barely able to contain her little dance which under normal circumstances Kaycee would have found amusing and would probably have been joining in with.

"And after that? You said?" she prompted and Sarah's smile faded slightly.

"I said that I was getting married to Rob!" she repeated and Kaycee frowned with a forced laugh.

"You know, it's funny but I don't recall meeting a Rob before. Other than my Rob of course but I know that you wouldn't be marrying my Rob!" Kaycee said and Sarah looked uncomfortable suddenly.

"I know it's sudden and completely out of the blue but Rob loves me and I love him. Can't you just be happy for us?" Sarah asked pleading with those baby blues of hers that had always gotten her everything she wanted.

"Can I be happy for you? Are you kidding me? Until an hour ago I thought I would be marrying Rob and you think that you can steal him off me and just carry on as though nothing happened?" Kaycee demanded unable to believe that the girl she had counted as a sister for so long could do this to her.

"I think it's very selfish of you not to be happy for Sarah!" her stepmother said as she appeared in the large lounge that was filled with expensive furniture and paintings. It reflected her family perfectly.

For as long as she could remember Kaycee had come second to Sarah. Their parents married when they were too young to remember and had always lavished their attention on Sarah who had been the cutest child ever with her chubby cheeks, blonde curls and baby blues. Kaycee had been invisible in the background with her plain looks, dark, dull hair and green eyes. As they grew older Sarah had grown in both confidence and looks. She had started high school with straight blonde hair, a slim body and breasts that actually filled out a bra. Unlike Kaycee who had remained with the same dull hair, a curvy body and a flat chest that had taken several years to fill out at all. So while Sarah had spent high school as one of the most popular girls who had a different boyfriend every week, Kaycee had not been as lucky. She had very few friends and became very withdrawn. Rob was the only boyfriend she had ever had and they had been dating for six years, ever since her eighteenth birthday.

It had never really been a surprise to Kaycee that their parents were prouder of Sarah the blonde model but what had been surprising was how little they really cared about her. At school Kaycee had killed herself studying so she could get good grades and make her parents proud of her. All she had gotten for her efforts was a pat on the back. Sarah had spent her school years partying and had cried so much when she had failed her exams that their parents had bought her a car to cheer her up. Even now they didn't much care that Kaycee had a job to support herself and had moved out years ago. No, they were just proud that Sarah had been given one modelling job in one crappy magazine years ago.

None of this had ever bothered Kaycee. She had always seen herself as one of those people who liked to fade in to the background and had allowed Sarah to have all the limelight. Until now!