Chapter Twenty-One

Kaycee awoke slowly and it took a moment for her to remember where she was and how she had got there. As the previous night came back to her she closed her eyes against the harsh light of day wishing that she didn't have to face the day but knowing she had no choice. Exhaustion still seeped from her very bones but she forced her body in to motion as she had a quick shower and dressed slowly in a tight fitting pair of jeans and a black sweater. Brushing her hair back in to a ponytail and adding the smallest amount of lip gloss Kaycee decided she was ready and after taking a deep steadying breath she left the room and slowly made her way down the stairs. At the bottom she hesitated before making the decision to go and see her family as a way of delaying seeing Jake.

"Going somewhere?"

Kaycee jumped at the sound of his mocking voice and she spun round to find Jake stood in the doorway to the dining area his features hard and unyielding as he stared down at her.

"I thought I should at least let my family know I'm back in town," she said wishing that he didn't make her feel so out of her depth.

"You haven't even had breakfast yet," Jake pointed out and Kaycee winced.

"I'm not hungry," she lied even as her stomach gave a betraying growl.

"Come and have some breakfast," Jake instructed and she bristled beneath his authoritative tone.

"I'll get something at my father's," she said instead about to leave but Jake was not about to let her walk out on him.

"That wasn't a suggestion Kaycee. Join me for breakfast. At least then I know you are taking proper care of our child!" he ordered and she gritted her teeth together knowing that he was not going to let her leave until she did as he said.

"Fine!" she snapped as she stormed past him to seat herself at the large table stubbornly refusing to look at him as she reached out and poured herself a coffee only to have it taken from her before she could take a sip.

"Caffeine is not good for the baby," Jake informed her coolly as he poured her a foul smelling tea instead.

"What is that?" she demanded looking down at the greenish liquid in disgust.

"It is a herbal tea that is supposed to be good for the baby," he explained and Kaycee stared at him in horror. Surely he did not intend for her to actually drink this stuff.

"It looks awful," she said and Jake sighed as he put his own coffee down and observed her.

"You have to start taking better care of our child and I am going to make sure that happens. And if that means making sure you drink herbal teas and eat more then so be it," he calmly stated and Kaycee stared at him as anger coursed through her. She would have argued back but before she could an older plumpish woman entered the room carrying a tray filled with food that made Kaycee's stomach growl in response.

"Good morning," she offered Kaycee with a beaming smile.

"My housekeeper Joy," Jake offered as greeting and Kaycee smiled up at the older woman.

"You look very pale dear, you should eat something, it will help."

Jake sent her a triumphant look at Joy's words and Kaycee sighed as she realised she was being backed in to a corner. Under their watchful eyes she selected a small bowl of fruit and nibbled a piece of melon grateful when Joy beamed at her then wandered off back to the kitchen.

"Things have to change," Jake said suddenly and Kaycee frowned at him as she selected a fresh strawberry.

" I thought they already had," she replied indicating the tea which she still couldn't bring herself to touch.

"I meant that we no longer have the option of deciding whether we want to be in this marriage. We are going to have a child which means that this marriage is for life and we can not carry on the way we are," Jake explained less than patiently while Kaycee glowered at him.

"You mean we can't carry on with you being in charge of what I do and say?" she asked sarcastically and Jake sighed.

"It means that we both work at this and try to make the best of things for the sake of our child," he said and Kaycee barely resisted asking whether that meant he would be getting rid of his women on the side.

"Does that include being honest with each other?" she asked instead.

"Of course," he replied and Kaycee put down her fork as she observed him carefully.

"Then tell me where you were for the month you went missing," she said quietly and watched his face close down.

"I can't!" he replied and Kaycee nodded slowly. Of course he couldn't. It was okay for her to spill all her secrets and fears to him but he wouldn't even tell her where he had been.

"Then I guess you were wrong. Our marriage is already full of lies so what does it matter whether we change things now?" she asked trying to ignore the stab of hurt she felt.

"You're being ridiculous," he said which was definitely not the right thing to say to a hormonal pissed of pregnant woman.

"I'm being ridiculous? You have done nothing but lie to me since we met and all of a sudden I'm ridiculous? Well then you won't mind if I take my ridiculous self off to see my family!" Kaycee snapped as she got to her feet and tried to storm from the room but he caught her around the waist before she could go more than a few steps.

"I have no idea what lies you are referring to but I do happen to mind you going out. I have booked an appointment for you to see the obstetrician," Jake informed her making Kaycee glare at him for what right did he have to arrange appointments behind her back.

"And if I refuse?" she asked making Jake sigh at her stubbornness.

"Kaycee be reasonable. I just want her to check you over and make sure everything is going well. Do you not want to make sure our child is healthy?" he asked and Kaycee hesitated. She had only seen a doctor briefly since she had left Jake and he had confirmed her pregnancy and suggested she get seen by an obstetrician but Kaycee had been too busy to actually go and see anyone. She was just over three months pregnant now and she supposed it was the sensible thing to get everything checked out though it killed her to admit that he was right.

"Fine! But I want you to know that I am doing this for the baby and not for you," Kaycee informed him firmly not wanting him to think that she was backing down.

Which was how two hours later Kaycee found herself in the obstetrician's office with the lovely female doctor who had put her at ease almost immediately. Something which should have been hard to do with Jake hovering beside her.

"Ok, I have a few concerns with regard to your weight. You don't seem to be putting on enough weight although your stomach is above the size it should be. I just want to do an ultrasound just to check how things are going," Lauren their obstetrician said and Kaycee nodded her consent.

"Is everything alright?" Jake asked a few minutes later as the ultrasound image came up but Lauren frowned at the image.

"Um, I'll be right back. I'm sure I'm wrong but.... I won't be a moment," Lauren said as she vanished leaving Kaycee to stare at Jake in horror. Was something wrong with the baby? Please god, don't let there be something wrong with the baby.

They both waited in silence holding each others hand tightly as they waited for it to be bad news. When Lauren returned she wasn't alone and this only added to their fears.

"This is Dr Bennett, he's just going to be a second opinion," Lauren informed them as she showed the Dr the ultrasound picture and they discussed it quietly before he turned to Jake and Kaycee.

"Congratulations, you appear to be having twins!" he told them and they stared at him stunned.