Chapter Fourteen

There was a warning glint in Jake’s eyes that told Kaycee he was very mad about something, though she couldn’t think what it was. If anyone had a right to be mad it was her, after all he was still trying to manipulate her in to staying with him even though he had promised he would not.

            “Jake?” she asked in a cool voice determined not to let him see how unnerved she was at the sight of him.

            “I thought I would come and surprise you but imagine my surprise when I find you with him!” Jake said furiously and Kaycee gasped in shock.

            “Look man it’s not like that…” Dave said only to trail off at the sharp look Jake sent his way.

            “I suggest you leave… Mate!” Jake snapped and Dave hesitated as he glanced at Kaycee questioningly.

            “It’s okay Dave, I’ll be fine.” She assured him and with a final glance at them Dave left though he was clearly not happy about it.

            “You had no right to speak to him like that,” Kaycee told Jake furiously as she turned to glare at him with her hands on her hips and he responded with a fiery glare of his own.

            “You are my wife!” he said firmly as though that was an excuse and Kaycee was stunned that he actually seemed to believe he had claims over her and what she did just because they happened to have gotten married.

            “And Dave is my friend!” she told him refusing to back down.

            “More than a friend is what I heard,” Jake informed her and this time Kaycee actually was stunned. Who on earth would have told him that? It was true that she and Dave worked closely together but clearly there would never have been anything between them.

            “Well then you heard wrong,” Kaycee told him firmly folding her arms and watching as he ran his hand through his dark hair making it stand out in all directions.

            “If I heard wrong then what was going on just now?” he demanded and Kaycee decided she’d had enough. Why should she be getting accusations when she had done nothing wrong? He had no right to behave like the jealous husband and no right at all to tell her who she could see and speak to.

            “That’s none of your business,” she told him and his eyes narrowed.

            “I’m making it my business!” he said coolly and Kaycee glared at him. There was no way that she was going to explain herself to him when he would never have explained himself to anyone.

            “Well then you’re going to be disappointed. I have no intention of discussing Dave with you,” Kaycee said glancing pointedly at her watch.

            “I suggest that you do not try my patience right now love,” Jake gritted out and Kaycee gave a sigh of frustration. Don’t try his patience? He was certainly trying hers.

            “I have to get back to work now,” Kaycee said in answer but before she could take more than a step Jake was there spinning her back to him with his hand grasping her wrist.

            “I’ve decided that time apart isn’t suiting us as well as we thought,” he told her and Kaycee frowned.

            “What the hell is that supposed to mean?” she demanded and in answer he lowered his head and captured her lips in a bruising kiss meant to punish as much as pleasure.

            “It means we are going to have a honeymoon,” Jake explained when he finally pulled away. The burning in his eyes had changed now from an angry glint to a lusty fire that couldn’t be put out by just a mere kiss.

            “You’re being ridiculous. This is all because you think something’s going on with Dave and I. Well, you know what? I don’t want to go on a honeymoon!” Kaycee informed him and Jake’s eyes narrowed.

            “It wasn’t a request Kaycee!” he replied firmly and she gaped at his assumption that she would meekly go along with anything he suggested.

            “I can’t go on a honeymoon! For one thing I have work, and for another I have my family to think about. They need me,” Kaycee explained and Jake shrugged.

            “I’ve already sorted out some time off from your job and as for your family; they are not your responsibility.”

            “What do you mean you’ve sorted out my job? And my family are my responsibility when they’re in trouble,” she snapped making Jake frown.

            “I have discussed with your manager and she was more than happy to let you have the time off. And would your family be helping you if you were in trouble?” Jake asked making Kaycee shift uncomfortably for it was true that her stepmother and stepsister would not care one bit that she was in trouble. Her father might care a little but if her stepmother interfered then even he would turn his back on her.

Knowing that Jake was right however did not mean that she would become the same as them. Her father was her only real family and she would not sit back and watch him fall when she had the power to catch him.

            “I will not let you destroy my father just so you can take over his business!” Kaycee snapped and Jake actually looked surprised though it shouldn’t have come as much of a shock considering what her father had told her.

            “Why would you think for a second that I wanted to take your father’s business?” Jake demanded and she raised her head to glare at him.

            “I know exactly what it is you’re planning and it won’t work. You may get my father’s business but you’ll lose me!” Kaycee informed him and Jake gave a final sigh.

            “I have had enough of this! We are going to have a honeymoon and we are going to make sure that your father and Dave do not interfere,” Jake said before he placed one arm around her waist and led her from the building without even giving her chance to argue.

They would be having a honeymoon and she would forget all about Dave and their short-lived romance as well as her father who couldn’t care less about her, Jake decided. The only problem was convincing her that he was not the bad guy here!