Chapter Seven

The rest of the drive was conducted in silence as Kaycee settled in to a miserable state of thought and Jake concentrated on the road. He knew it had to be hard for her to hear but he wanted her to know the truth. She was his wife and he would do anything to protect her even if it meant revealing her father’s deception.

Kaycee could not believe that any of it was true and yet It made sense. Her father had been snappier than usual and had been arguing with Susan more than usual. And now that she thought about it his smile had seemed rather strained when he had come out with Jake. But it couldn’t be true, could it?

            “We’re here!” Jake suddenly announced and Kaycee jumped at the sound of his voice. She must have dozed off at some point for she had no recollection of how long they had been driving or where they were. The clock read 5.00 and it was still dark out so they must have been driving a while but she hadn’t been paying much attention and had no idea where the hell they had ended up.

            “Where’s here?” she asked suspiciously but instead of answering he got out the car and collected their bags leaving her to climb out herself and gape at the large house before her that put even her dad’s house to shame. She followed Jake up the stone steps to the entrance and watched as he unlocked the door then gestured for her to go in.

The inside was even more incredible than the outside had been and Kaycee stared around her in wonder. The place was like a museum with all the art and statues that were dotted around the foyer and it felt weird that it even had a foyer.

            “We should get some rest, you must be exhausted!” Jake suggested and Kaycee could only nod as she continued to stare round at her surroundings. Wow! She had thought her dad’s place was impressive but this was just amazing. She had never seen such a huge house with such a grand selection of art in her life and she couldn’t take her eyes off any of it even as she followed Jake up the stairs to one of the rooms where he dumped their bags at the foot of the bed which immediately drew her gaze.

            “You can use the bathroom first,” Jake offered as he indicated a door to the left side of the room only to frown when she made no move towards it.

            “I’m not sharing a bed with you!” she refused immediately as his brow rose questioningly only to be replaced by a frown at her refusal.

            “Yes, you are! Now get changed, you must be exhausted,” Jake informed her gritting his teeth when she still refused to move.

            “I mean it, Jake. I refuse to share this room or this bed with you!” she snapped and he sighed.

            “Fine! You don’t want this room or this bed? Choose another. There are over fifty rooms in this place. Choose one you like and we’ll sleep there,” he announced and Kaycee glared at him.

            “What I mean is, that I’m not going to share any room or any bed with you! I want my own room,” Kaycee informed him furiously and he sighed again.

            “I know what you mean Kaycee and the answer is still no. We share a room and we share a bed. Don’t fight me on this,” he added when it was clear she was going to do just that. Instead she stormed past him eyes flashing, in to the bathroom with her bag where she proceeded to get a quick shower and changed in to her shorts and vest that sufficed as her nightwear. Running a brush through her hair she left the bathroom and stared straight ahead ignoring Jake as she stood by the bed.

Waiting only until he had entered the bathroom Kaycee turned and stormed from the room, she refused to sleep anywhere near him and if that meant she had to search through this mansion in the dark for a room as far away from him as she could get then so be it.

Jake was furious when he left the bathroom wearing his boxers only to discover that his wife had vanished. Storming from their room he searched every other room in the house until he came across her at the far side of the house asleep in the only single bed in the place. His jaw working as he tried to keep his anger contained Jake scooped his wife’s slim frame in to his arms glad that she was so petite. He was careful not to wake her as he carried her slowly back across the large house to the master bedroom where he deposited her gently on the bed beneath the covers then slid in himself and shut off the light grateful for the chance to rest his weary eyes.

Jake awoke suddenly to the sound of swearing and he gave an “Oof!” of surprise as a bony elbow connected with his stomach, not for the first time this week but this time he was prepared for it and he rolled Kaycee over before she had chance to realise what he was doing much less prevent it.

            “Let me up!” she hissed struggling beneath him where he had her pinned by the wrists his gaze warming as it roved leisurely over her delectable body.

            “Hmm, in a minute,” he murmured as he bent his head and placed a kiss against her pulse point at her neck which jumped at the contact.

            “Dammit, Jake. Let me up!” she repeated but her voice came out breathier than she intended and he could tell that although her head was saying no her body was screaming out yes!

            “Did you know that you are extremely sensitive, right. About. Here!” Jake murmured as he kissed his way up to her earlobe and nipped gently drawing a gasp of pleasure from her. This man did not play fair but then again neither did she, Kaycee decided as she bent her head and bit deeply in to his shoulder drawing a sharp hiss from him that had him pulling back abruptly.

            “You want to play, hmm?” he asked bending his dark head and Kaycee cried out as he placed a tender love bite to the underside of her breast.

            “Bastard!” she muttered and he stared down at her with those dark unfathomable eyes.

            “Do not play with fire unless you wish to get burned, cara!” Jake suggested and she narrowed her eyes at him.

            “Damn you to hell!” she cursed him furiously and he responded by taking her mouth in a kiss that was as pleasurable as it was punishing.

            “Believe me you don’t want me to take you there!” he murmured against her skin as he launched a full on assault on her senses that had her writhing beneath him unaware of anything except the pleasure he was giving her.

Even in his furious state Jake was nothing more than gentle with her and he tenderly trailed kisses over her body until he reached the apex of her thighs where the small patch of hair hid her entrance. She stared at him stunned when his tongue began an exploration of her most private area that had her gasping in both pleasure and shock while her fingers buried themselves in his hair and she shook with the effort it took not to fall apart. She was almost completely gone when suddenly he moved back up and kissed her, entering her in the same moment. Jake caught her cries as she exploded in to a million pieces and it was only moments later that he joined her.

Both of them lay there for a few moments panting as they observed one another warily. Jake had been with plenty of lovers but none had ever responded the way Kaycee did and it made him extremely satisfied knowing that he was the only lover she had ever had and that he was the only one who had ever made her fall to pieces like this.

Kaycee had never been with another man before but she had no doubt that no one would be able to make her fall apart so completely with just a touch and it scared her to think that Jake had that kind of power over her. It was strange that the one man she despised beyond belief would be the one man who could make her body sing. Although she had never slept with Rob they had kissed many times and he had given her the odd grope before she had pushed him away but never once had he made her feel anywhere near the level of passion that she felt with Jake. It was like eating steak after a lifetime of nothing but salads. You didn’t realise just how plain it was until you had the real thing!

She should despise Jake Wentworth!

The problem was that Kaycee had a feeling she was falling, and falling hard!