Chapter Twenty-Two

After that bombshell Lauren informed them that she had only requested a second opinion as Kaycee had not put on as much weight as she should have. She prescribed some nutrients and vitamins that would help her put on weight and made a list of things she should be eating and drinking before giving them their ultrasound photo and sending them on their way.

Kaycee was completely shocked by the turn of events and didn't know what to say. She had thought it was hard enough being pregnant with one child but now here she was stuck in a loveless marriage with twins on the way and no idea what she was going to do.

"Why are we stopping?" she asked as she became aware that Jake had pulled the car over and he turned to her his face unreadable.

"Lunch," he answered her and Kaycee didn't even attempt to put up a fight. She was a little hungry and still too shocked to complain.

Kaycee had been in the mood for something simple like soup but Jake insisted on taking her in to one of the exclusive restaurants that did everything but simple. He also changed her order from the simple salad she ordered as a starter to something she couldn't even pronounce but that was apparently full of fat.

"I can order my own lunch," she hissed and Jake sent her a dark look.

"We both want our children to be healthy, so why argue?" he asked and Kaycee settled for glaring at him instead.

"Don't think for a second that just because I'm having twins I will do everything you say," Kaycee warned him.

"I wouldn't dream of it," Jake replied as he poured her a sparkling water which she gratefully took.

Conversation lagged as Kaycee became lost in her own dark thoughts. She had just about been able to cope living with Jake when she had thought there was just one baby and that she had the option of leaving him but twins changed everything. There was absolutely no way that she would be able to handle twins on her own, even with Jake things were going to be a struggle and she refused to be one of those women who left their children to be raised by a nanny. It left her with too few choices in her life and Kaycee hated this feeling of suffocation she had.

It was a welcome break from her thoughts when their waiter returned with their meals and Kaycee found that despite all her arguments she was actually starving and the starter was delicious. It was far more satisfying than her salad would have been and she was secretly grateful that Jake had changed her order though she would never admit that to him.

"We should talk about this," Jake said after a while indicating her stomach and Kaycee glared at him.

"Why? One baby or two, what does it matter? Either way I'll be your prisoner," she told him coolly not wanting to give him even a glimpse of her inner turmoil. She had spent so long keeping her thoughts and feelings to herself that it was hard to share them with anyone let alone the one man she wasn't sure she should trust.

"You are not a prisoner Kaycee," Jake said wearily and she eyed him sceptically.

"But if I wanted to some freedom like going for a walk on my own I'm assuming that you'd have something to say about it," she said making Jake sigh.

"It's not safe for you to be walking around the city by yourself in your condition," he explained and Kaycee bristled with anger.

"So I am a prisoner! Isn't that what it means when you have no freedom of choice and someone is always following you?" she asked and Jake frowned at that.

"Is it wrong for me to want to know my wife and children are safe?" he asked in a sad tone that pulled at Kaycee's heart-strings making her feel like a complete bitch.