Chapter Twenty-Three

The street was deserted when the car came hurtling towards her but all of a sudden as if from nowhere a man appeared at her side making Kaycee jump in surprise.

"Do not move, you could be injured," the man said as he pulled out his phone and made two quick phone calls in a low voice and she frowned up at him in confusion as her mind became foggy making it hard to think clearly.

"I'm fine," she said after a moment as she tried to assess any injuries she may have sustained but could find nothing but a few scrapes although she would be have bruises tomorrow.

"Do not move," he repeated as she tried to get to her feet and Kaycee gave him what she hoped was a grateful smile.

"I promise I'm fine," she repeated but he still seemed unconvinced.

"I can't let you move until Jake sees for himself that you are alright," the man said and Kaycee froze in the act of getting up as she stared at him in horror. He had called Jake? How did he even know Jake? And how had he suddenly appeared out of nowhere?

"Who are you?" she demanded suddenly nervous and he smiled down at her as though trying to put her at ease though it did nothing to calm her frayed nerves.

"Max Powell, Bodyguard," he introduced and Kaycee felt anger boil inside at the realisation that Jake had been having her watched.

It was barely ten minutes later when Jake arrived and by then an ambulance had also turned up and a crowd had gathered to see what was going on. Kaycee felt extremely self-conscious as she found herself the focus of attention and she reluctantly allowed herself to be examined though she felt completely fine but Jake refused to take her word for it and insisted that she be taken to hospital in case anything had happened to the twins, something which the paramedics apparently agreed with.

"I'm fine!" Kaycee hissed once again to Jake when they were finally alone, after he had insisted on accompanying her to the hospital and had somehow gotten her a private room.

"You were almost run over, that is not fine," he replied watching her pale features carefully as though he expected her to break at any moment.

"There was no need to have me followed," she snapped finally letting loose what had been bothering her since she had found out but Jake merely sighed.

"Max is a professional who was only there to keep you safe," he explained and she narrowed her eyes at him furiously.

"There was absolutely no need," Kaycee growled at him and Jake shook his head in exasperation.

"Clearly there was every need," he told her indicating her current predicament and Kaycee glared at him.

"I am absolutely fine," she informed him but Jake wasn't buying it.

"Why didn't you call me to come and pick you up?" he asked sounding hurt and Kaycee sighed.

"Because I am quite capable of looking after myself, I don't need someone watching my every move," she insisted and Jake looked disbelieving though considering that she had been almost run over just trying to get a taxi she could understand his disbelief.

Before he could reply though the door swung open and a doctor appeared making Kaycee wonder how on earth Jake had managed to get her to the front of the queue as in her experience hospitals took great pleasure in making you wait about for hours at a time.